The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 11-05-2005 11:58 PM

Not actually on DVD ... one on VHS, one OnDemand, and one on Encore.

Shrek (finally got around to it)
Shrek 2
Kill Bill Vol. 1

Cyclefrance 11-06-2005 08:39 AM

French film, think was shown at Cannes this year: Irreversible.

If I tell you too much about it, it will spoil its uniqueness. Just to say it is extremely violent, difficult to work out why what is happening is happening at first. This may sound obvious, but you need to stick with it to find out, however, because of the way it is presented you may not want to. The presentation takes over from the story in the end - it should leave you feeling, well, something - whether that is repulsion, admiration or something else, you won't leave it without having some form of emotion about what you have just seen.....

If you search the web you can find out more about the film - my view is that you will get more out of the film if you don't read up on it beforehand. All you need to know is that it is brutally violent, but that this is a necessary part of the story. See first - read about after.

seakdivers 11-07-2005 10:40 PM

My husband and my son are in our home theater room watching Revenge of the Sith...... again. I decided to sit this one out since I've seen it so many times.

For anyone who's watched it, did you notice how they changed the sound effect of the THX calibration thing in the beginning? It sounds so awesome.

Our theater has a Klipsch 7.1 surround sound system & subwoofer (yes, I know nobody has movies out in 7.1 yet), and this movie sounds absolutely incredible!

lookout123 11-07-2005 11:01 PM

Quote:

My husband and my son are in our home theater room watching Revenge of the Sith
/SNIP/
Our theater has a Klipsch 7.1 surround sound system & subwoofer (yes, I know nobody has movies out in 7.1 yet), and this movie sounds absolutely incredible!
care to adopt a fairly neat and tidy stockbroker (and his son)?

seakdivers 11-08-2005 11:23 AM

Sure! Bring sleeping bags, pillows & beer! :)

BigV 11-08-2005 11:30 AM

and mukluks and goretex and longjohns and woolies...AZ to AK is a lot farther on the climate scale than it is alphabetically...A sunlamp would be nice too. :lol:

seakdivers 11-08-2005 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, too wet here for mukluks.

Gotta have X-Tra Tuffs & Helly Hensen rain gear..... but that's only if we go outside! :)

lookout123 11-08-2005 08:20 PM

ah, fuggit. i don't do cold weather except for sledding anymore. hour and a half drive there. sled for a few hours, hour and a half back.

seakdivers 11-08-2005 09:57 PM

Aww....lookout - don't give up yet!

Our house is nice & warm, and the theater room gets really hot with all the equipment running!

I hardly ever get to sled - unless I want to drive/ hike up a mountain to hit decent snow. It's not worth it.

I live in rain country, not snow country.

wolf 11-10-2005 01:09 PM

Minority Report

jinx 11-10-2005 01:26 PM

I just bought the first season of Lost since I can't find the first season of Nip Tuck anywhere local.

Trilby 11-10-2005 01:26 PM

Sondheims INTO THE WOODS. I'd better freakin' watch it----it's five days overdue at the library and they are SERIOUS about their DVD's.

wolf 11-27-2005 12:53 AM

Kingdom of Heaven (Widescreen, two disc edition)

The movie was very cool ... the sweeping visual spectacle you expect of a Ridley Scott film, with a fairly decent story.

The second disc includes the usual assortment of making of bits, and the long version of the trailer, but, joy of joys (yes, I'm serious), not ONE but TWO documentaries on the Crusades ... History Channel's History vs. Hollywood and A&E's Real Movies.

I dig that shit.

Also, on the movie, you can turn on the "Pilgrim's Notebook" ... a specialty set of subtitles that gives you little bits of history and background as you're watching the movie. Distracting if you haven't seen the movie, but worth watching the film a second time just for the info.

zippyt 11-27-2005 03:52 AM

AZ to AK is a lot farther on the climate scale than it is alphabetically..

Try Iceland to SoCal !!!!!! On my first 20 mile hike i flopped like a fish !!!!!

I just Tivoed Deliverence , I haven't seen this in YEARS !!!!!

Tomorrow i am grabbing Electra , and The Life Equatic .

Griff 11-27-2005 07:28 AM

per Big V's suggestion Madacascar. Out loud laughing by adults and chillens.