The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

Carruthers 06-24-2018 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nipped out for some milk earlier this AM, (remember that 'AM', you'll need it later)
and spotted this notice in the Post Office window.

Attachment 64086

The USP of the 24 Hour clock is that it avoids ambiguity.
4.50, unless qualified by AM or PM can be in the morning or the afternoon.
1650 can only be in the afternoon, but you knew that, didn't you?
So why 1650PM?

I didn't notice the entry for Saturday until I downloaded the pic.
12.15AM. That's 0015, isn't it? :)

Griff 06-24-2018 05:41 AM

I'm sorry for your loss Bruce.

I'm concerned about your school system C.

captainhook455 06-24-2018 11:27 AM

Sorry for your loss Bruce. I knew a man like that my father. I still hear from friends and relatives something he said or helped them with. As long as people remember then the deceased are still among us.

Gravdigr 06-24-2018 02:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Bruce. You have my sympathy. Losing good people is bad enough, but really good friends are tough to lose.

Gravdigr 06-24-2018 02:14 PM

Bruce's post reminds me of what Richard Petty said when Buddy Baker died:

Quote:

He was the kind of person that it made ya feel good just being around him.
That's about as good as it gets, right there.

Gravdigr 06-24-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1010599)
Ever meet a woman that everyone likes, is always smiling, never a bad word about anyone, and brightens the day of everyone she encounters?
I have. I went to her funeral today. :sniff:

Actually, I have.

I went to her funeral Sept 2 last year.

xoxoxoBruce 06-24-2018 10:33 PM

Today the water heater was leaking because those damn steel nipples at the inlet and outlet, that Sears says not using voids the warranty, rust out. Of course once they are rusted enough to leak they collapse under a wrench.
My plumber buddy saved my ass but had to remove the sheet metal jacket and cut away the foam insulation. :facepalm:

Clodfobble 10-01-2018 10:54 AM

"Boofing" means buttfucking. Always has. Don't @ me with your lately-edited urban dictionary links, or other trusted online sources assuring you what it means. Unless you belonged to a social group who actually used the term pre-2000, like I did, shut your trap. It means buttfucking.

Undertoad 10-01-2018 10:56 AM

Never heard of it. Class of '81 here

lumberjim 10-01-2018 11:26 AM

boffing is fucking; boofing is butffucking. Flint will Boof you in the mouth

Gravdigr 10-01-2018 02:10 PM

Well, now that that's cleared up...

Happy Monkey 10-01-2018 02:28 PM

I heard it in the early to mid 90s in DC.

In any case, from the way it's used in the yearbook, it definitely did not mean farting.

Glinda 10-03-2018 01:45 AM

Please excuse me, but I need to vent. :mad2: I had an entirely fucked up day.

I'm a freelance writer/editor/proofreader. Currently, I'm editing/proofing a 1300-page med school training book (25th edition). For the last six weeks or so, the project manager has sent me three chapters a week which I tweak and adjust, and then return.

On Friday afternoon, I got an email from a new (?!) project manager for this book, saying "When I reviewed the schedule, I realize we are really short on time and we'll never make the FTP date if we don't finish proofing pages before the end of October." She then asked me to (at least try to) start completing a chapter a day for the next 10 days. And once those are done, there's another 10 chapters that have to be done by the end of October. Huh. :eyebrow:

Mind you, it takes a good six to eight hours to complete one 20-25 page chapter file (40-page chapters obviously take nearly twice as long). I need to have Chapters 19 - 26 done by October 10th. Those chapters are all 35 to 45 pages long. So . . . . yeah.

Now, these chapter files are necessarily dense with medical terms and confusing procedures (i.e., medicalise), so just trying to edit/proof a single sentence is mind-numbing. These chapters are also filled with illustrations, photos, graphs, charts, and tables. My job is to check EVERYTHING (not just words) against separate files for each collection of like items. So, for each chapter I've got a gigantic pdf file of the final proof chapter, a Word file for the actual words, a Word glossary file for medical terms, a photo file (pdf), a table/chart file (excel), and two different Word style guide files (which occasionally contradict each other, btw; yay).

So last night, as I was working on Chapter 18, my poor old Dell refurbished computer had had enough. It simply would NOT save the final proof file I'd been working on. I tried everything. Couldn't save it to the computer, couldn't save it to a thumb drive, and saving it to the cloud wasn't an option. I was finally able to send it to myself in an email. But I still couldn't save it, which meant I wouldn't be able to upload it to the company's Dropbox account when I was done with it. That's why the cloud wasn't an option; I had to have an actual pdf file on my computer that I could upload, but my computer was having none of it.

Ok. *deep breath* What now?

I dragged my father's computer (much better than mine) out of the closet and hooked it up, then spent an hour or so trying to get into it (no idea what dad's passwords were). I'm freakin' amazed I finally McGivered it. Then I had to upload all sorts of files and programs that I need in order to do what I do, that (natch) weren't on dad's computer. Finally, around 3:30, I was ready to get back to editing Chapter 18. At 4:35, the power went out.

:facepalm:

Just got power back an hour ago. Please kill me now.

xoxoxoBruce 10-03-2018 07:40 AM

That's sure going to infringe on your pumpkin carving time. :comfort:

Griff 10-03-2018 10:35 AM

Ugh!