The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sheet Music (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34904)

xoxoxoBruce 02-18-2020 12:45 AM

Sheet Music

1 Attachment(s)
Sheet music, do you read it? Can anyone decipher what this tune is, or if it's gibberish?

Attachment 69832

This art piece was made by a black woman in CA who spent much of her childhood picking cotton in the deep south.

Gravdigr 02-18-2020 07:50 AM

Theme from Shaft?

Happy Monkey 02-18-2020 09:34 AM

I can't read it into sound in my head, but I used to be able to read it and program it into BASIC on a Tandy 1000EX...

But given the context, and the very deep notes at the end of the first bar, I suspect it's "Swing Low Sweet Chariot".

Clodfobble 02-18-2020 10:21 AM

The measures and time signature are all messed up, I can tell you that much...

xoxoxoBruce 02-18-2020 10:39 AM

OK, then it's probably gobbledygook as music and most likely strictly art. Maybe music as the tie that binds is woven through the sharecroppers lives or something of that ilk. Thanks. I just wondered if I was missing something.

limey 02-18-2020 11:18 AM

It's Amazing Grace (red dots) basically. But yes, the time sig is missing and rhythm a bit messed up.

monster 02-18-2020 07:07 PM

:D

xoxoxoBruce 02-19-2020 11:49 PM

A friend in Texas plugged the notes in his MIDI and because he's a tremendous keyboard play with tons of rock and classical experience started massaging the timing and all that related music stuff I don't understand. He sent me an mp3 only 20 seconds long, but it sounds to me like Amazing Grace. I wouldn't bet money on it though, I could very well be wrong.

monster 02-20-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1046819)
It's Amazing Grace (red dots) basically. But yes, the time sig is missing and rhythm a bit messed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1046904)
...[details].... it sounds to me like Amazing Grace. I wouldn't bet money on it though, I could very well be wrong.

you may be right there... ;)

xoxoxoBruce 02-20-2020 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a follow up explaining that stuff real musicians like Limey understand.
Quote:

Never thought about it but I guess it's in 3/4 time (3 beats to a measure), which is usually in the beginning of each line of music. then they didn't really make the note lengths fill the measures, so much of it didn't make any sense about which ones were right, the notes or the measures, and where.

If this actually helps with that, just look at the last two measures of the first line. And if you don't know what a measure is, it won't matter in a minute. In the second to last measure is hollow notes followed by filled notes. Filled notes play half as long as hollow notes. so the hollow notes get two counts, and the filled notes get one; three beats to the measure. Then in the very next measure, last one on the line, is filled notes followed by filled notes. So that measure only gets two counts, or one set of those notes should be hollow. Then when you hollow the first set, it quickly becomes "how sweet the sound" from amazing grace.
Which is clear as mud but it covers the ground. :blush:

Attachment 69861

So Limey wins an extended vacation on a stormy rock off the coast of Scotland. :celebrat:

limey 02-20-2020 03:40 PM

I’m used to trying to read music written down by people who’ve only got half the theory down ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xoxoxoBruce 02-20-2020 11:40 PM

You are a real musician. :notworthy