The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Seattle, WA (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7793)

Clodfobble 02-20-2005 02:46 PM

Seattle, WA

My husband and I are planning a vacation, and the likely destination right now is Seattle. On the list to see are Mt. St. Helens and Pike Place Market, and possibly some kayaking. Any other recommendations?

404Error 02-20-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
...Any other recommendations?

Uh, yeah. Be careful around
Mt. St. Helens. :eek:

xoxoxoBruce 02-20-2005 11:00 PM

Sure emplive, Mt Rainier and Olympic National Park.
Olympic has Spanish Moss...I swear, Spanish Moss! :biggrin:

Pie 02-21-2005 08:21 AM

Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Beautiful views of downtown, and lots of cool stuff to see.
See http://www.TychoUnder.com/Alaska2004/index.html (first two days and last four days) for our pictures of Seattle from last June.

Enjoy your trip.
- Pie

dar512 02-21-2005 01:47 PM

Here's a few

- Eat at the Scaleburger in Elbe on the way to Mt. Rainier
- Visit Paradise Lodge on Mt. Rainier
- Hike around Paradise Lodge
- Take the Boehm's candy tour in Issaquah
- Space needle - especially nice at sunset
- Walk along the piers
- Eat at Ivars on the pier
- Walk around Pioneer square and thereabouts. Lots of neat gallerys and stuff.
- Snoqualmie falls
- Northwest railway museum in Snoqualmie
- Take a tour to watch the whales
- Take a tour to catch salmon.
- Air museum in Renton
- Take the tour at Chateau St. Michelle winery

Take warm clothes when you go to Mt. Rainier. My kids played in the snow - during the first week of August.

dar512 02-21-2005 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snoqualmie Falls

dar512 02-21-2005 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sunset on a hike near Paradise Lodge

Clodfobble 02-21-2005 03:20 PM

Wow, thanks everyone!

Brown Thrasher 02-21-2005 04:30 PM

Seattle is a city of music and wonderful fresh seafood. I agree with dar on Ivars on the pier. Space neddle is unique. Snoqualmie pass is cool, If you like snow and beutiful lakes. Also if your sports fans, you got the mariners, seahawks, supersonics etc... For me it was the taverns with live music and the olympia beer. whenever you go make sure to take umbrellas. I don't think their is a state with more rain per year than Washington...... Have fun!!!!

Griff 02-22-2005 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
For me it was the taverns with live music...

How is the music scene up there these days? Any favorite bands?

Beestie 02-22-2005 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
Sunset on a hike near Paradise Lodge

Pics like that make me want to move there. Tomorrow. One of these days, I want to spend at least a month checking out the area between Seattle and Vancouver.

And, oddly enough, Los Angeles has more rainfall (32 inches) than Seattle (16 inches) this season.

BigV 02-23-2005 04:17 PM

kayaking ideas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
My husband and I are planning a vacation, and the likely destination right now is Seattle. On the list to see are Mt. St. Helens and Pike Place Market, and possibly some kayaking. Any other recommendations?

A couple of years ago I went on a week long kayak expedition through the San Juans out of Anacortes. It was the paddle of a lifetime! We have some of the most beautiful, rewarding paddling options in the world. Here and here are links to a typical outfitters in the area. This account is an excerpt of a trip through the San Juans, and the part about Deception Pass is really exciting. The tidal currents there run up to NINE KNOTS!

For more urban trips, I have enjoyed in-city trips in both salt and fresh water, sometimes in the same trip! I will never forget my trip through the Ballard Locks! A couple of good places to put in are 14th street boat ramp, Golden Gardens park, and on Lake Union at NWOC, you can rent a kayak and start your paddle there. These guys rock, but they don’t let you take their boats through the locks, though. Another cool trip from there is to head north and west through the ship canal and the Montlake cut (watch out for the clapotis under the bridge if there’s any other powerboat traffic) into Lake Washington.

BigV 02-23-2005 04:45 PM

Mt St Helens

I've been to Mt St Helens several times, since the eruption, and the evidence of the awesome power of the devastation is almost unbelievable. There's one campsite we go to near Ghost Lake and it's on the fringe of the blast zone and you can see trees that are still standing that have been scoured smooth on the mountain facing side and intact on the opposite side. The level of Spirit Lake rose 600 feet that day. There is a raft of logs of downed trees that wanders about on the surface of the lake like a little swirl of foam on your mocha, but it's hundreds of giant logs. If you make a trip to the park, be sure to go all the way to the end of the road and stop in at the Johnstone Ridge Observatory center. It is extremely informative and entertaining.

It's not "Seattle" exactly, but an incredible trip, very worthwhile. Highly recommended.

BigV 02-23-2005 04:46 PM

Um, question

What kind of things do you want to see/do? City, country? Indoor, outdoor? Eat, watch, walk, listen, etc?? I've lived here about for about 15 years now, and though still an import, I'm and informed import.

If you give me a more specific topic, I can give you example, mileages, costs and maybe even a review--I love my city and enjoy showing it off. I've done lots of the "tourist-y" things myself. I know a lot about the city proper from spending most of my time here.

Clodfobble 02-23-2005 04:50 PM

What kind of things do you want to see/do? City, country? Indoor, outdoor? Eat, watch, walk, listen, etc??

Um... all of those things? I don't know. Outdoors is great, but I'm afraid rain might keep us from too many of those types of things. Music is probably last on the list, simply because my husband and I could never agree on what type of group to go see. :) Walking/seeing things mostly, I guess. And eating too... I have very fond memories of the Boeing factory tour that we took when I was a kid, do they still do those?