The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

BigV 03-14-2018 03:13 PM

Got a call from hospital last night, SonofV is back in the hospital for the second time in four days.

Haven't yet been able to reach him this time.

#sandwichgeneration ... But it's kind of a shit sandwich

limey 03-14-2018 06:50 PM

Oh BigV! Hope you get through to him soon! x

monster 03-28-2018 07:56 PM

Just got a medical bill for $10,000 due immediately. This shouldn't be possible. Beest maxed out his deductible back in January, we haven't had to pay anything since then. I think the hospital were so late in billing, the insurance was cancelled so refused to pay when hospital sent bill. Offices closed now, don't even know where to start :(

Glinda 03-28-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1006339)
Just got a medical bill for $10,000 due immediately. This shouldn't be possible. Beest maxed out his deductible back in January, we haven't had to pay anything since then. I think the hospital were so late in billing, the insurance was cancelled so refused to pay when hospital sent bill. Offices closed now, don't even know where to start :(

Let it sit for a few days. Six months after my folks' passing, I was still getting bills for things that had long since been paid. Modern medicine's billing system is amazingly pathetic.

Just keep copies of everything in chronological order (most recent in front). When the time comes, you can call someone with all your data and shut them down in nothing flat.

In the meantime, have a cuppa and chillax. :)

monster 03-28-2018 10:16 PM

yeah, I was just venting, but thanks :) I figured out the place to start is ignoring it :lol: I know it's not right, I just dread the dealing with it

monster 03-28-2018 10:19 PM

.... despite a bajillion phone calls to prescription companies to confirm the account is closed, the patient is dead and they won't get fucking paid....... Beest is still getting emails telling him drugs are about to ship...... another one today for the super-expensive last ditch chemo pill that didn't work....

Glinda 03-28-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1006343)
.... despite a bajillion phone calls to prescription companies to confirm the account is closed, the patient is dead and they won't get fucking paid....... Beest is still getting emails telling him drugs are about to ship...... another one today for the super-expensive last ditch chemo pill that didn't work....

Stiff upper lip, my friend. This baloney will continue for awhile. Just make a list, check it twice, and tick off each a-hole company in due time.

My particular headache was trying to close all my parents' bank, checking, and store accounts. It's like I had to have a note from my dead mother to get a few of them to shut things down and call it done.

*smh*

Clodfobble 03-29-2018 01:36 PM

To be fair, I would like it to be hard for someone to close my account and take all my money. :)

Have you heard of chemo donation programs, monster? They may not be legal where you are (or anywhere anymore, for that matter,) but the idea is that instead of flushing, whatever pills you have leftover can be donated to someone who needs treatment but has no insurance.

Glinda 03-29-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1006366)
To be fair, I would like it to be hard for someone to close my account and take all my money. :)

Even when you have a POA and a death certificate? As I have learned, a POA means next to nothing, and every creditor demands an original death cert - at $25 a pop.

*sigh*

monster 03-29-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1006367)
Even when you have a POA and a death certificate? As I have learned, a POA means next to nothing, and every creditor demands an original death cert - at $25 a pop.

*sigh*

you buy death certs in bulk here and they're only $5 each then :D

DanaC 03-29-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glinda (Post 1006367)

*sigh*

I'm going to speak up for the creditors here - the laws governing data protection in the financial sector, certainly in the UK and Europe, but I imagine in the US too, are very strict and there are good reasons for that to be so.

It's a pain in the proverbial, and no doubt there could be some streamlining of the processes involved, but those protections are a necessary evil and in some cases hard won against the prevailing attitudes of the financial industries.

Gravdigr 03-29-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1006366)
...chemo donation programs, monster? They may not be legal where you are (or anywhere anymore, for that matter,) but the idea is that instead of flushing, whatever pills you have leftover can be donated to someone who needs treatment but has no insurance.

Auntiedigr's husband died on a Friday. "The Authorities" came for his prescription painkillers the next Tuesday.

Fuck cancer.

Glinda 03-29-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1006369)
I'm going to speak up for the creditors here - the laws governing data protection in the financial sector, certainly in the UK and Europe, but I imagine in the US too, are very strict and there are good reasons for that to be so.

It's a pain in the proverbial, and no doubt there could be some streamlining of the processes involved, but those protections are a necessary evil and in some cases hard won against the prevailing attitudes of the financial industries.

I get all of that, but I'd prefer that creditors put more energy into making it harder to open fraudulent accounts with fake IDs, instead of fighting against closing legit accounts because the owner died.

:eyebrow:

monster 03-29-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1006376)
Auntiedigr's husband died on a Friday. "The Authorities" came for his prescription painkillers the next Tuesday.

Fuck cancer.

Well...... I finally got to sleep around noon the day after he died (just before midnight) and my phone rang an hour later to let me know they'd be here in ten minutes to collect the wheelchair (that we never used) and walking frame (used twice).

But they can they rent them to someone else for more charges. The drugs, they keep sending for more charges and just tell me to toss them.

I could fund my widowhood through the shit I have here.... Working on a donation to the local VA but it's so complex :/ They need a lot of paperwork to verify it all....

My doc told me to donate the super expensive meds I had after my stroke when they decided actually I didn't need the after all... but the procedure was so complex when I really didn't need stuff like that I gave up.

We also heard that local animal shelters can use some of the supplies that come with all the chemo stuff -sterile mats, saline syringes etc. They weren't interested.

monster 04-03-2018 11:34 PM

Long Story, but anon donor paid for food at beest's funeral thing.

1) I needed to do it.

they took that from me. I knew i wanted to do it. (the swim community offered and I was working up to accept graciously, ecause I know they need to do something to help them grieve, but it was hard....) ...now I know I needed to do it. My husband. My goodbye.

2) I think I know who it is and they have an agenda. A documented Indian Giver

I talked to three friends about it independently (online). And two came up with the same name and all agree.

The whole thing feels soiled now :(

I know I'm an ungrateful biatch who can't take an intended complement. But here I'm allowed to be. This is not a well meaning individual.