The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I got a cargo van (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33725)

Clay 09-11-2018 11:49 PM

I got a cargo van

1997 GMC Safari with pipe racks and one of those walls behind the cab with the little door

What should I do to trick it out? I'm vaguely aware of some potential but I don't know of the limits of what I can do, you know? If I get some roadside assistance work then maybe I will mount amber lights instead of using the stick-on one, but I'm not sure about more technical things than that. For example, extra battery, heavy duty battery? I'm probably about to replace the alternator and when I do, what potential features/accessories should I have in mind when shopping for the power output? I wonder what's the best way to have a cargo ramp or something? I'm going to use it for some courier work, maybe heavy stuff sometimes.

Any suggestions are nice, anything useful or cool or funny. Upgrades, accessories, gear to keep inside, what gratuitous improvements would you put on the list?

Carruthers 09-12-2018 04:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 1014878)
Any suggestions are nice, anything useful or cool or funny. Upgrades, accessories, gear to keep inside, what gratuitous improvements would you put on the list?

Ejector seats.

Please forgive my flippancy, but I've just come back from the usual Wednesday morning supermarket run and there were a couple of occasions* which caused me to consider them as an optional extra when my present car finally expires.

I've already got the necessary sticker.

Attachment 64824

*Neither of which was my fault!

Undertoad 09-12-2018 06:33 AM

Personally I'm a small box truck sort of guy but a cargo van is a fine choice

Griff 09-12-2018 06:33 AM

I like this a little too much.

Clay 09-12-2018 07:51 AM

I was checking out a company that armors vehicles. In addition to armor (pistol, rifle, armor piercing) I can get an oil slick, a caltrop dispenser, tear gas, smokescreen, and electrified door handles. As well as all the stuff you would expect.

Will probably just beef up some components and such though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1014882)
Personally I'm a small box truck sort of guy but a cargo van is a fine choice

I'm thinking I'll get a box truck sometime, currently fantasizing of having a well-rounded fleet.

Sheldonrs 09-12-2018 08:33 AM

If it's windowless, all you need is a sign on the side that says "Free Candy and Puppies". :devil:

BigV 09-12-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 1014889)
If it's windowless, all you need is a sign on the side that says "Free Candy and Puppies". :devil:

This has been done before, of course. In Ottowa, you're good to go!

Sheldonrs 09-12-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1014895)
This has been done before, of course. In Ottowa, you're good to go!

I remember that day! My first van. :D

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2018 02:04 PM

Candy vans don't cause cavities, but can certainly make them bigger.

lumberjim 09-12-2018 02:26 PM

ew lol

Sheldonrs 09-12-2018 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1014913)
Candy vans don't cause cavities, but can certainly make them bigger.

That would require a "stretch" van.

lumberjim 09-12-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1014883)

I like this a little too much.

I hope he put LoJack in it.

Dude111 09-12-2018 04:15 PM

Congrats!!!!!

I hope you like it :)

xoxoxoBruce 09-12-2018 05:23 PM

How you trick it out depends on what you plan to do with it. Roadside service means air supply(preferably compressor), jacks, tools, fuel cans, etc.
Courier work you'll need clear room for anything of size, and probably a hand truck, and ramp.

monster 09-12-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 1014878)
1997 GMC Safari with pipe racks and one of those walls behind the cab with the little door

What should I do to trick it out? I'm vaguely aware of some potential but I don't know of the limits of what I can do, you know? If I get some roadside assistance work then maybe I will mount amber lights instead of using the stick-on one, but I'm not sure about more technical things than that. For example, extra battery, heavy duty battery? I'm probably about to replace the alternator and when I do, what potential features/accessories should I have in mind when shopping for the power output? I wonder what's the best way to have a cargo ramp or something? I'm going to use it for some courier work, maybe heavy stuff sometimes.

googly eye headlights ofc