The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Inspiring messages from wealthy people about gratitude (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28718)

footfootfoot 03-03-2013 11:06 AM

Inspiring messages from wealthy people about gratitude

This was in my email this morning, this author is giving a talk at our local bookstore. I was considering going to the talk until I saw this video.

As I looked at where this woman lived and the lifestyle she's affords I found it really hard to take her seriously. I find it hard to garner sympathy for people's emotional/spiritual cheerleading when the only apparent challenge they face is being happy. Not having to figure out how you are going to pay your bills and eat, or wonder whether your car will get you to work again today and if it doesn't what will you do then?

A saint can't save a sinner, only another sinner can. A bodhisattva doesn't reach down to pull you up, a bodhisattva is right there with you in the trenches giving you a boost up.

I know money doesn't buy happiness, but it certainly eases a lot of misery. Maybe it's just me but she seems like another well-off white lady reminding us to be grateful for this moment. This picture perfect moment.

ZenGum 03-03-2013 04:37 PM

Once you get above average income, there is little correlation between money and happiness.

Below average income, there is a strong correlation between poverty and unhappiness.

Pico and ME 03-03-2013 05:41 PM

More money seems to add more 'needs'. We are trying not to add to our usual list now that we are making so much more money. But the things that have been waiting so long, like a new roof and siding, new flooring and a kitchen remodel are going to happen now without all the stress. AND I am getting a brand-spanking-new car. I gotta tell you, its bring me some happiness.

regular.joe 03-03-2013 06:33 PM

Nice video, the only thing I noticed is that it's all me focused. Happiness is really found in giving for others. There is more of a correlation between giving and happiness then in wealth and happiness, more so even then wealth and giving.

footfootfoot 03-03-2013 06:59 PM

Great observation. I missed that.

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2013 07:20 PM

Spot on, joe. :thumb:

Sundae 03-04-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 855438)
I know money doesn't buy happiness...

... but it does bring choices. Given those choices it's easier to make the ones which lead to happiness.
Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 855512)
Great observation. I missed that.

... and choosing to make other people happy is one of them (kudos Reg J)

As other people have said, I'd be happier with more money.

But y'all know I'm silly with it anyway.
Would just be nice to spend it on good people who've been there for me in troubled times. Blood first, but Cellar second. My online family.

Then school - as troubled as my relationship with them has been recently I'd still want them to have something special. A new After School Club room or air conditioning or sports equipment - something they really need and is chosen by the school itself, rather than something flashy. I'd send them all to a theme park or something given my choice ;)