The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   July 25, 2010: A Lucky Canuck (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23219)

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2010 11:06 PM

July 25, 2010: A Lucky Canuck

Captain Brian Bews, a CF-18 fighter pilot, who's plane crashed at the Lethbridge, Alberta, airshow, is one lucky Canuck.

http://cellar.org/2010/bail.jpg
Ian Martens / Lethbridge Herald / CP via AP ..................................... Kurt's Kustom Photography

Quote:

Photos taken immediately after the jet's impact show Bews parachuting to the ground, just metres away from a huge fireball. The cause of the crash is now under investigation. The Minister of Defence said from Calgary on Saturday that the investigators will take as long as they need.

"We want to make sure that we find the root causes of what happened and ensure that all our planes are safe, that's what we do," said Peter MacKay. "We have great maintainers in the air force that go over these planes with a fine-tooth comb."
Check out the photo sequence here.
The story is here.

Elspode 07-25-2010 03:07 AM

"Dear Captain Bews:

After extensive review, the RCAF has determined that you are wholly at fault for the recent loss of your F-18 aircraft. Please make out a money order, cashier's cheque, or other certified funding instrument in the amount of $200,000,000.00, payable to the Canadian Treasury."

SPUCK 07-25-2010 05:22 AM

Clearly rules were broken!

http://cellar.org/2010/F18.jpg

richlevy 07-25-2010 07:29 AM

I wonder if McDonnell Douglas lost any sales that day.

Quote:

Well prince, our F-18 is a superb multirole carrier capable fighter, and we can get you 100 units for a measly $20 billion.
Excuse me, but isn't that your fighter crashing on the airfield?

ZenGum 07-25-2010 08:11 AM

I saw the footage on TV. That guy baled at just about the last possible moment.

Quote:

Purely intentionally, Prince, we are demonstrating how effective the ejector seat is.

Undertoad 07-25-2010 11:23 AM

He looks almost horizontal when he ejects so so the seat know which way is up?

BTW let's all points and laugh at the Canadians for renaming the jet CF-18. For CanadianF-18. The rest of the world doesn't do that when they order up a plane.

monster 07-25-2010 09:41 PM

and another caterpillar is born...

aero geek 07-26-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 672560)
He looks almost horizontal when he ejects so so the seat know which way is up?

BTW let's all points and laugh at the Canadians for renaming the jet CF-18. For CanadianF-18. The rest of the world doesn't do that when they order up a plane.

Sure Mr. Toad, go ahead. The rest of the world hasn't finished laughing at you guys for electing George W. Bush. Twice.:dunce:

spudcon 07-26-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero geek (Post 672639)
Sure Mr. Toad, go ahead. The rest of the world hasn't finished laughing at you guys for electing George W. Bush. Twice.:dunce:

And they weren't given a break after electing Barack H. Obama. We Americans keep the world in stitches.:sniff:

ZenGum 07-26-2010 09:30 AM

erm, I think we call ours FA-18s. and I think they are slightly different - especially the avionics and gizmos and stuff. I guess the Canadians' are likewise different.

Shawnee123 07-26-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 672658)
And they weren't given a break after electing Barack H. Obama. We Americans keep the world in stitches.:sniff:

I think you will find that Dwellars from other lands reported lots of support in that national decision.

They might be laughing now, but only because the rest of the factions are acting like spoiled rich fat pasty guys whose spot has been peed in.

:p:

Lamplighter 07-26-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 672703)
erm, I think we call ours FA-18s. and I think they are slightly different - especially the avionics and gizmos and stuff. I guess the Canadians' are likewise different.

You might say Ausies put their trust in Fate-en's.

Undertoad 07-26-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 672703)
erm, I think we call ours FA-18s. and I think they are slightly different - especially the avionics and gizmos and stuff.

They spiral into the ground counter-clockwise.

classicman 07-26-2010 11:50 AM

bwahahahaha

Coign 07-26-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 672705)
I think you will find that Dwellars from other lands reported lots of support in that national decision.

They might be laughing now, but only because the rest of the factions are acting like spoiled rich fat pasty guys whose spot has been peed in.

:p:

Ah but I don't want the 50% tax rate of Europe's socialized healthcare. Our economy is going through enough trouble as it is that I don't need to follow the path of Spain, Greece, Portugal and others. You can have Obama if you like him so much.