The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

DanaC 01-31-2012 04:26 AM

Sounds like you have a better handle on the situation now Anon. Hope it works out. *hugs*

BigV 01-31-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 790441)
Thank *you*, Pete, for knowing that I really am sorry. Hugs.

**Really?** "You're sorry"? Cause, ew.

glatt 02-01-2012 07:11 PM

A friend who has been fighting colon cancer for the last few years is just about at the end of her journey. She'll be leaving behind her two boys, ages 9 and 12. Friends with, and same age as our kids. I've known this is coming for a while, but it still sucks.

Fuck cancer.

Aliantha 02-01-2012 07:13 PM

I'm very sorry for you all glatt. It must be so hard for her kids. They're going to need you all so much. xx

zippyt 02-01-2012 07:20 PM

fuck cancer

monster 02-01-2012 07:27 PM

sorry, glatt, cancer is the nastiest, cruelest thing.

wolf 02-01-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 790432)
Thanks Limey. That'll teach me to be more careful reading the labels.

There must have been some significant change in labelling laws. You used to be able to count on the artificial sweetener announcement on the front of the label, now it's not only on the back, but buried so far down in the ingredients list that you can't find it, or can't figure out what's what in the list of awful chemicals. I have a similar sensitivity to Nutrasweet/Aspertame, Saccharhin, and Acesulfame K. I can tolerate Splenda/Sucralose and Stevia, but I think they taste funky. I've done the same thing and regretted it for several hours.

Griff 02-01-2012 07:54 PM

Sorry glatt.

Clodfobble 02-01-2012 07:55 PM

I'm so sorry, glatt. My dad lost his mother to colon cancer when he was 12. Definitely changed his outlook on life. It breaks my heart to think of those two boys.

...He also lost his older brother to colon cancer some 25 years later. This one's highly heritable, I hope the kids remember to start getting regular colonoscopies at 30 so their own kids don't risk going through the same thing.

classicman 02-01-2012 08:56 PM

Sorry glatt. :(

BigV 02-01-2012 09:16 PM

fucking fuck cancer

wolf 02-01-2012 09:29 PM

fuck cancer

footfootfoot 02-01-2012 09:41 PM

FC, G

glatt 02-02-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 792399)
My dad lost his mother to colon cancer when he was 12. Definitely changed his outlook on life. It breaks my heart to think of those two boys.

That's been the saddest part of all this. These two boys have changed over the last couple years from being typical silly boys to being way too serious.

Some parts of this I don't understand. She and her husband seemed to have a really solid relationship. Both are a couple of great people. But right after she got the diagnosis, she divorced him. Amicably, apparently. He's still around and they go to things like back to school night together. So they are still somewhat of a team. But I guess she just didn't want to spend her remaining time with him. So the boys are living with her in the family house, and after she dies, they will be with him. I don't know if they will move, or if he will just move back into the house he used to live in. It's all a little weird. So for these boys, there will be that additional change. Basically switching parents. Hopefully they will stay in the same house. There's a huge support network for this family here.

So I don't understand some of her decisions, but I guess having cancer clarifies some things.

Lamplighter 02-02-2012 09:11 AM

It could be a financial decision, to protect the family assets from anticipated hospital charges.