The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Concert Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28129)

Spexxvet 10-08-2012 09:12 AM

The Concert Thread

This is the concert thread. Surprisingly, there wasn't one.

This year, I've gone to more concerts than I have in a coon's age. I don't like masses of people, but it just worked out that I was able to go to Sigur Ros, Foster The People, The Pittsburgh Orchestra performing the Zelda Symphony, Florence and the Machine, Ben Folds Five, and I have tickets for Of Monsters and Men on Thanksgiving Saturday night. Except for the "lawn setting" of the Sigur Ros concert, about which I whined and bitched, they've all been excellent. It's almost overwhelming how talented some people are.

jimhelm 10-08-2012 09:41 AM

Dave Matthews Band in december!

infinite monkey 10-08-2012 09:49 AM

I haven't been to a concert in years. I didn't even go to see Fagan and McDonald and Scaggs, and that would have been awesome.

I used to go to big venue concerts a lot...later on in life I spent a lot of time in Dayton's Oregon District with my musician ex...and saw a lot of great shows, jazz mostly, some blues.

I'm going to try to make a list of everyone I've seen (except of course, local bands.) I think it will be interesting. I'll post it later when I've thought about it.

Gravdigr 10-08-2012 10:05 AM

Last concert I attended was Queensr˙che, the "Empire Tour". Suicidal Tendencies opened.

This was about 1990-91.

I paid $21 each for 2 tickets. Thought the price was outrageous.

:yelgreedy

Spexxvet 10-08-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 833384)
Dave Matthews Band in december!

You must be under the table and dreaming ;)

glatt 10-08-2012 04:41 PM

How big does it have to be to be considered a concert?

Saw Chopteeth about a month ago.

Clodfobble 10-08-2012 11:50 PM

In a couple weeks I'm going to my brother's CD release concert, at a legitimate non-hole-in-the-wall venue. He's been sponsored by some local promotions group, and got featured on MTVHive and everything. I'm proud of the kid, I really am. It will be the first time I've seen live music of any kind in over a year.

infinite monkey 10-09-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 833386)
Last concert I attended was Queensr˙che, the "Empire Tour". Suicidal Tendencies opened.

This was about 1990-91.

I paid $21 each for 2 tickets. Thought the price was outrageous.

:yelgreedy

Dude! :hedfone:

be-bop 10-09-2012 05:38 PM

What pisses me completely off is that bands mostly give Edinburgh a miss.
It's Aberdeen Glasgow then usually Newcastle of Manchester, time after time i see bands on tour dates thinking I'd like to see them but no joy.
The big theatres in Edinburgh hold on average 1800 to 2000 capacity and the smaller venues hold between 500 to 1000 so bigger bands dont come here because you can't get into the bigger venues they are usually booked out with shit musical productions, Billy Connolly complained a few years ago about Edinburgh not being able to book bigger venues for fucking andrew Lloyd Webber shows.
:mad2:

Rhianne 10-09-2012 05:53 PM

Fucking Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Do you mean Sir Fucking Andrew Lloyd Webber?

I hear what you're saying and understand but the SECC is an hour or less away by car, that's not too bad. Mind you, these days there isn't many 'big' bands I'd travel further than the length of my living room to see. Rest comfortably in the knowledge that Glaswegians are still jealous as hell of the Festival.

be-bop 10-11-2012 05:18 PM

"but the SECC is an hour or less away by car"

Not any good if you fancy a few beers before the show,the last time i was at the SECC got there in just over an hour but took nearly 3 hrs to get out the car park and back on to the motorway.
Glasgow is a shit-hole that i try to stay out of if possible, lived there for a time in the 70's the place was the pits.:bolt:

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2012 05:23 PM

Aussie Pink Floyd at the Tower next week. :D

Griff 10-13-2012 12:16 PM

Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, and Suburban Legends at Crockadile Rock last summer. Long drive but worth it.

Trilby 10-14-2012 09:50 AM

last concert I saw was probably 1993-4 Grateful Dead. Or maybe the B-52's or Buffett.

I haven't been to a concert since I got divorced lo these many blue moons ago.

sigh. I can't even get up any enthusiasm to go see some band, either.

Only the Stones could get me to come out of my hovel.

Spexxvet 11-27-2012 11:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This past Saturday night, I saw Of Monsters And Men at The Tower Theater. They were Egggsellent