The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 03-27-2006 08:26 PM

Capote

Slow moving, but fascinating if you've read In Cold Blood.

elSicomoro 03-27-2006 10:08 PM

Crash...deserved the hype and awards it got.

Trilby 03-28-2006 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore
Crash...deserved the hype and awards it got.

It DID? Man, I thought every self-respecting critic panned this movie. Is the premise really that we are so alienated from one another that we're willing to crash our cars into each other? My insurance is just not that good!

:driving:

glatt 03-28-2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
It DID? Man, I thought every self-respecting critic panned this movie. Is the premise really that we are so alienated from one another that we're willing to crash our cars into each other? My insurance is just not that good!

:driving:

That's not really the premise. The premise is that everyone sucks.

Crash is a horrible movie. If you haven't seen it, don't bother.

Gromitspapa 03-28-2006 10:08 AM

Huff, season 1. Outstanding!

thrillhouse 03-28-2006 01:57 PM

^ ^ +1 . yay for oliver platt!

in my dvd player from sunday night, March of the Penguins.

Pi 03-30-2006 02:31 PM

Band of Brothers. One of the best films/series of WWII and war in general. And btw Damian Lewis (Lt Winters) played a lead in an ther top film called Warriors.

elSicomoro 03-30-2006 11:40 PM

I don't think Crash was that negative. If anything, I think it encouraged folks to step back and chill a minute and better appreciate each other.

Happy Monkey 03-31-2006 08:35 AM

Crash seems to be like the pessimist/optimist glass...

SteveBsjb 03-31-2006 08:45 AM

Crash got good reviews though. It definitely wasn't panned.

glatt 03-31-2006 09:05 AM

I think part of the reason I'm so strongly against Crash is that it had an all star cast, and got some good reviews. It was the letdown after a buildup of expectations.

The good thing about Crash is what Sycamore mentions. We should all just get along, because we are all the same inside. Kinda obvious.

The bad thing about Crash is that while every character has some good and some bad in them, the bad outweighs the good something like 10 to 1. Of the dozen or so characters in the movie, Brendon Frazier's character was the only one that I felt was as decent as most average human beings are. The rest of the characters were horrible people. And the movie seemed to be preaching that they were supposed to represent us all. I know I am better than all the characters in that movie. Everyone I know is also better than all the characters in that movie. The characters sucked, and the film was trying to say that we all suck. We don't. Therefore the film is bad.

Happy Monkey 03-31-2006 11:24 AM

The locksmith was good. And the daughter of the shop owner.

glatt 03-31-2006 11:32 AM

Saw it a long time ago. I forgot about the locksmith. He was good. Don't remember the sister. Is she the one who bought the blanks?

Happy Monkey 03-31-2006 11:36 AM

Yeah.

elSicomoro 03-31-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
The bad thing about Crash is that while every character has some good and some bad in them, the bad outweighs the good something like 10 to 1. Of the dozen or so characters in the movie, Brendon Frazier's character was the only one that I felt was as decent as most average human beings are. The rest of the characters were horrible people. And the movie seemed to be preaching that they were supposed to represent us all. I know I am better than all the characters in that movie. Everyone I know is also better than all the characters in that movie. The characters sucked, and the film was trying to say that we all suck. We don't. Therefore the film is bad.

I think we are very much like the characters in the movie. I think we all possess the meanness that the characters presented. Some of us just show it more often than others. And in some instances, we happen to show our bad sides at the same time.

I believe that people are generally good, but have some inner meanness that has been passed down through evolution. But some people are just born sociopaths. And most of the time, we learn our hate.

Crash reminds me of Higher Learning (a 1995 John Singleton film), except Higher Learning was on a college campus. I really enjoyed the movie when it came out. Looking back at it now, I still like the movie, though some of the incidents in the movie border on ridiculous.