The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Camping (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33196)

sexobon 01-09-2018 10:13 PM

Yeah but the metal parts of a lighter can get hot enough to cauterize blood vessels so you don't bleed to death.

Six of one, half dozen of the other I suppose.

Big Sarge 01-09-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1002003)
I have these 3 fire starters along with other items in my E&E bandoleer and duplicates in the ruck:

A standard 3" Bic disposable butane lighter which suffices in most situations.

A 2¾" (more compact than it looks in the picture) refillable, wind resistant, butane lighter that offers a good grip and robust ignition button that's user friendly even with gloves on. It's good for more difficult fire starting.

You can get the less in demand clear version for a song.

A tough, sealed, naphtha fluid lighter the uses standard Zippo flints and wicks. It'll work at lower temperatures than the butane lighters and will work as a hands free candle for a short time. I actually have the black version; but, those seem to be sold out on Amazon (though it may still be available elsewhere)

I have a quad flame torch lighter, but I'm bad about forgetting to refill it so it ends up sitting on my table. I'll post a photo of it when I get back in town. It is one of those that made troops go "oooh & aaah". lol

Those watertight fluid lighters look nice and are definitely something I will look at. Years ago, I used to carry a Zippo in my pocket and I would sometimes get the Zippo leg burn, so those lighters ended up on a shelf and gifts to others.

lumberjim 01-10-2018 08:13 PM

Get a room, you two.

monster 01-10-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1002062)
Get a room tent, you two.

ftfy

Griff 01-11-2018 06:19 AM

Oh I think they are already sporting a couple tents...

Big Sarge 01-11-2018 09:15 AM

fuck it. you try to make a positive contribution and you start getting trolled.

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2018 10:00 AM

If you don't know the difference between being trolled and good natured kidding, you're in for a bad time.

lumberjim 01-11-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 1002092)
fuck it. you try to make a positive contribution and you start getting trolled.

your first post was a positive contribution. the next 3 or 4 were you and sexo comparing penis size.

boom.

sexobon 01-11-2018 04:43 PM

I didn't get that impression. More like shooting the shit between two generations of GIs.

lumberjim 01-11-2018 05:45 PM

Shhh, I'm trolling sarge

bbro 01-16-2018 08:56 AM

Ok, so I am now in possession of the following:
- Stove
- Fuel source for stove
- Silverware (2 sets)
- Tent
- Sleeping pad
- Pot for stove
- Hydro flask food jar
- Reusable 24-48 hour ice packs

Since I am going to be hitting all of NC's 40 national parks in the next 365 days, I will have the opportunity to do car camping and also hike in camping. I am currently experimenting with foods. I have A LOT more experimenting to do, though.

- Bear creek soups rehydrate well with boiling water. I just have to be patient. I should be able to combine them with canned meat and have a filling meal. I am thinking of getting some freeze dried meat, though, since that will be lighter.
- I still hate oatmeal

glatt 01-16-2018 09:50 AM

Sound like you're having fun with this.

Do you like playing with the stove? Is it working well for you?

bbro 01-16-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1002346)
Sound like you're having fun with this.

Do you like playing with the stove? Is it working well for you?

I am having fun!

I haven't actually played with the stove just yet. I just got the fuel and the pot. I had hoped to use a pot I had, but the handle makes it tip over. I am going to try it soon, though. I have put it together, though. I think I'm a little nervous about lighting it.

I still have a list of things to get, but I am going to calm it down for now....maybe :o

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2018 02:17 PM

No you're not, you're having fun so keep it going. Calming down is after it gets to be old hat. :D

Griff 01-17-2018 06:18 AM

Try the oatmeal! ;)