The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

classicman 06-29-2010 03:20 PM

thats awesome Clod! Glad to hear it!

Clodfobble 06-29-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene
I wish I had known about the picky eater clinic 6 years ago.

They do actually get some neurotypical kids in there. But realistically, most parents aren't willing to pay thousands of dollars to watch someone break their child's spirit. :)

Griff 06-30-2010 05:37 AM

I like that they are offering the short-term clinics for specific skills. It seems like a much more humane use of the methodology.

Clodfobble 06-30-2010 09:01 AM

Absolutely. I'm not against the concept as a whole, but I think for most kids the social approach is going to be more effective in the long run, for most skills.

kerosene 06-30-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 667464)
They do actually get some neurotypical kids in there. But realistically, most parents aren't willing to pay thousands of dollars to watch someone break their child's spirit. :)

Ah, well, I didn't realize it was that harsh. Still, I think a diet of velveeta only could have been avoided, but here we are at age 11, and it remains the same. I love her, but her bio-mom could have been more helpful in that area.

monster 06-30-2010 08:11 PM

:eek: Just Velveeta? srsly? Have you talked to bio-mom about it? what does she say?

kerosene 06-30-2010 08:35 PM

I think I oversimplified. She will eat most things as long as they have velveeta, ketchup or gravy on them. But she will not touch fish or seafood of any kind...and no beans. There is no talking with bio-mom. There is talking to bio-mom then a screeching fit always results, no matter how she is approached. Both of us have tried many times. I try to avoid her, these days.

I am sorry I don't mean to threadjack. Maybe I should start a step-mom thread.

Clodfobble 06-30-2010 09:21 PM

Go right ahead, I've got stories for that one too. :)

monster 06-30-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerosene (Post 667717)
I think I oversimplified. She will eat most things as long as they have velveeta, ketchup or gravy on them. But she will not touch fish or seafood of any kind...and no beans. There is no talking with bio-mom. There is talking to bio-mom then a screeching fit always results, no matter how she is approached. Both of us have tried many times. I try to avoid her, these days.

I am sorry I don't mean to threadjack. Maybe I should start a step-mom thread.

Um, that's normal......

My 12yo dau won't eat any fishy things either. or bread things. or mushrooms. or beans unless they'e Heinz baked beans. Or fruit-flovored anything. She only drnks milk, water and tea. No pop, no juice, no nuttin'...... it goes on

kerosene 07-01-2010 12:50 AM

You know what? That is really a relief to know that. Neither of the boys are nearly that picky and they are younger. I was worried there was some kind of weird scary psychological thing going on with her that we couldn't figure out. Of course, I guess divorce and remarriage of her parents is weird scary psychological. But I figured she was so young when it happened, we would be mostly through alot of that. This makes me realize I should be more sensitive about it. I guess I need to think on this some more.

Griff 07-01-2010 05:44 AM

Yeah, I'm with monster. Some kids just won't eat that stuff. My 16 yo was/is one of them. She seems to be growing out of it but is still not one to take a chance on a new food. When I was a kid, I was the same way. Some textures/flavors were just unbearable. Even today I internally curse anyone who puts bell peppers in tomato sauce. Now I just suck it up and minimize the portion.

Clodfobble 07-01-2010 08:09 AM

Yeah, kerosene, to give you another reference point, the kids who go into the feeding clinic often start out only willing to eat toast, chicken nuggets, french fries--and literally nothing else. Or sometimes it's textural, like they'll only eat mashed potatoes, applesauce, sometimes a banana, and nothing else.

For my stepson, it's barbecue sauce he wants to put on everything in order to make it palatable (including mandarin oranges, of all god-forsaken things. :greenface) But as long as he's eating the green beans, barbecue sauce or not, we don't care.

lookout123 07-01-2010 08:34 AM

I wouldn't eat steak, chicken, eggs, salad, seafood, or a number of other things until I was in my 20's. Then I learned those foods were awesome, my mom was just a horrible cook.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 667834)
Then I learned those foods were awesome, my mom was just a horrible cook.

I can identify with that, but as a youth I wasn't given a choice.

Spexxvet 07-01-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 667826)
, chicken nuggets,.

My son's friend, who is autistic, had to have nuggets that were the right color. Sometimes he just wouldn't eat for days.