The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Pete Zicato 01-02-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Aaron Donnell, an allergist and pediatrician at Children's Memorial Hospital and Illinois Masonic Hospital, said that if parents have questions about attention-deficit disorder, he tells them that skin- or blood-testing won't help, but they can try removing gluten, sugar, dyes or preservatives from the child's diet. "At least half get some improvement by adjusting their diet," he said.
From this article in the Chicago Tribune. Sounds like a significant statistic to me.

Clodfobble 01-02-2011 01:50 PM

Most doctors familiar with the subject believe ADHD, as well as some forms of social anxiety, to be at the mildest end of the autism spectrum. It's the same types of brain damage, just less of it.

OnyxCougar 01-04-2011 03:06 PM

Clod, it is shit like this that pisses me right the fuck off.

If we aren't TOLD what is in a product, how can we avoid it??

I am SO pissed off right now!!

How can it be certified organic if they are using artificial GMO sweeteners in the FOOD?

*growls*

ETA:

Quote:

In 1998, Monsanto applied for FDA approval for a monster molecule, “based on the aspartame formula” with one critical addition: 3-dimethylbutyl
This says that 3-dimethylbutyl is

Quote:

Suspected:
Neurotoxicant HAZMAP
Respiratory Toxicant RTECS
Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant RTECS
NIOSH

I fucking hate people.

footfootfoot 01-04-2011 03:32 PM

Sucks, but remember, USDA organic is meaningless and has been since the gov got involved. It was a way for big agri biz to get a piece of the 2 or 3% of the market share they felt they were losing to genuinely organic products.

Pico and ME 01-04-2011 03:44 PM

I do my best to stay away from anything sweetened artificially and also organic labels - I dont trust them at all.

HungLikeJesus 01-05-2011 12:58 AM

I agree - organic is for suckers.

Griff 01-05-2011 05:30 AM

We had a parent meeting after class yesterday to follow up on an out of control kid (too many environmental issues to list). Anyway the child's doc tells mom to reduce sugar... which apparently means load her up with aspartame... go team! So now even if Mom had a higher functional literacy the government want that shit in her food.

Stormieweather 01-05-2011 09:38 AM

No added sugars or sugar substitutes. No artificial flavorings or colorings. No preservatives. No GMO's. No chemical additives whatsoever.

I follow those rules and believe that most of my food is reasonably healthy, as are my children. Sometimes, the only way to find products that follow these rules is by checking the organic market. I work two jobs, I'm not adverse to a little processed food, I just want it without all the crap in it. Ie: I buy Chicken Nuggets for a treat for my kids. At $7 a box, they are definately just for emergencies/treats. But I don't insist on only eating organic foods...I know the labels and the FDA lie.

Jackasses...

Pico and ME 01-05-2011 09:44 AM

I found it interesting that they originally submitted their request during a democrat administration but didn't get it approved until there was a republican in the white house. Not that democrats aren't corruptible too, but republicans (and especially the ones now) always seem to let corporations do whatever the fuck they want, food (or any other safety for the public) be damned. Pretty soon 'snake oil' is going to get FDA approval too...just wait and see.

glatt 01-05-2011 09:52 AM

We have started buying the "organic" milk in the grocery store. It was something that I was a little hesitant to do because it's more expensive, and I wasn't sure there was any difference.

Then we did a side by side blind taste test. It tastes noticeable better than regular milk. It's remarkable, really. The 1% organic milk tastes as creamy as the 2% regular milk. Maybe even a little creamier than that.

I don't know what the "organic" label means for milk. I don't approve of antibiotic use in livestock, and certainly not growth hormones for increased milk production. If the "organic" label means those things aren't happening, then I'd be happy.

footfootfoot 01-05-2011 11:48 AM

The organic label may not mean those things Glatt. There are some farms that have stricter standards than USDA organic who are not certified organic.

Stonyfield Farm and Butterworks Farm are two good dairies. Organic Valley is a giant behemoth wearing the organic disguise. (According to a pretty easy-going organic farmer I know)

Clodfobble 01-05-2011 12:36 PM

When my kid eats organic strawberries, he poops poop. When he eats non-organic strawberries, he has very loose stools with giant, quite recognizable chunks of undigested strawberries. The organic label on a processed product can mean something, or it can mean nothing. But when it comes to fresh produce, the definitions are clearer and more meaningful.

It's not just pesticides on the outside, either. Buy a regular banana, and an organic banana, and place them side by side on your counter. The regular banana will spoil in half the time. The chemical fertilizers they use to make them ripen faster are still inside the fruit speeding up the process, even after it's off the tree.

footfootfoot 01-05-2011 01:48 PM

The bananas also taste differently.

Pico and ME 01-05-2011 01:51 PM

So then, fruit labeled as organic in the grocery store produce section can be considered legit?

If that is so, I will try some.

Stormieweather 01-05-2011 02:29 PM

It's hard to identify true organic foods - I would guess that larger chains would be more likely to carry certfied organic foods. In a farmer's market situation, it can be tricky, because...just like the FDA, people lie.

Here are some questions to help you identify the real organic farmers from the scammers - How to find a true Organic farmer<---this is a word dc.