The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The War on Information (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32722)

Flint 04-12-2017 03:58 PM

The War on Information

2 Attachment(s)
[someone] created a fake FB account, posted a paraphrase of what Spicer actually DID say, then [someone] reported it to Snopes, to be rated FALSE, then [someone] disseminated this enough to reach Page 1, Google News tab for the term "Spicer"

End result: confirmation that "The Liberal Media" is lying to you about the latest, horrible thing.
Even the Liberal, Soros-controlled Snopes website agrees the Media is lying!! . . . R.I.P. Information

DanaC 04-12-2017 04:39 PM

*shakes head*

Flint 04-12-2017 04:47 PM

FALSE:
In a botched attempt to clarify his previous statements about Adolf Hitler and chemical weapons, Trump press secretary Sean Spicer said he meant Hitler never used them on "fellow Germans."

TRUE:
In a botched attempt to clarify his previous statements about Adolf Hitler and chemical weapons, Trump press secretary Sean Spicer said he meant Hitler never used them on "his own people."

In case you've been asleep for 48 hours and missed it, German Jews weren't Hitler's "own people."

As per usual, liberals are hysterical about nothing.

Happy Monkey 04-12-2017 04:47 PM

That is a terrible "Snopes"... Don't they usually have more context than that?

What they were actually rating as "false" was that the provided facebook account was Spicer, which would be important to note even if it had correctly quoted him, but the headline and the lack of any context certainly is misleading.

xoxoxoBruce 04-12-2017 05:03 PM

Hitler didn't gas his own people, the Austrians.

Hitler didn't gas his fellow Germans because he wasn't German.

tw 04-12-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 986703)
Hitler didn't gas his own people, the Austrians.

Hitler didn't gas his fellow Germans because he wasn't German.

Too many facts. It must be fake news.

footfootfoot 04-12-2017 07:01 PM

We need to stop seeing this as fake news and alternative facts, it's not a war on information, it's "Free Market Information"

I will post more on this topic tomorrow

tw 04-13-2017 11:05 AM

Free market information: I am free to market any lies I want.

Those who do it most also habitually sexually abuse their women employees. Then pay out $3 million and $20 million settlements - to restrict the news. In free market information, one can also pay to suppress the news.

footfootfoot 04-13-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 986721)
We need to stop seeing this as fake news and alternative facts, it's not a war on information, it's "Free Market Information"

I will post more on this topic tomorrow

Or the day after.

Pi 04-18-2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 986776)
Free market information: I am free to market any lies I want.

Those who do it most also habitually sexually abuse their women employees. Then pay out $3 million and $20 million settlements - to restrict the news. In free market information, one can also pay to suppress the news.

Well that's something new since the Adam and Eve in Paradise...
Information always served and serves and will serve to get your point over...
We just have a stronger sense of the importance of "truth". Now let's all go down the rabbit hole of psychological meanings of truth...

tw 04-18-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 987037)
We just have a stronger sense of the importance of "truth". Now let's all go down the rabbit hole of psychological meanings of truth...

Truth is rather easy. But most avoid what is necessary to have knowledge.

First a hypothesis must exist based in well proven science. Second, experimental evidence with perspective (numbers) must exist to demonstrate or confirm a hypothesis.

Fake news only says what you must believe. It does not say why. Fake new only uses sound byte reasoning. A reply based in reality must be long - often including repeatedly the examples (perspective; experimental evidence) that confirms a hypothesis.

For example, war is only justified when three things exist. First is a smoking gun - as made obvious even in Art of War some 2500 years ago. East coast US is littered with ships sunk by Germans before the US went to war. Even that was an insufficient smoking gun. A smoking gun was Pearl Harbor.

Gulf of Tonkin was hyped as a smoking gun. We all know it was not. In fact it was a lie. So war in Vietnam was never justified. Therefore that war was a defeat. Such examples are numerous throughout history.

Reality is not explained by a soundbyte. We massacred some 50,000 American servicemen because soundbytes (fake new; emotional reasoning; even McCarthyism) replaced what is required: many paragraphs that include a hypothesis and experimental evidence.

Many have insufficient attention span to even comprehend something this short. So many become victims of fake news or alternative facts.

Spicer's mistake - he tried to provide reasons why. He did not accurately remember (learn) details. Yes, Nazis developed Sarin in the 1930s. They stockpiled Sarin laced artillery shells. Spicer simply used an emotional and generalized soundbyte to explain details he forgot to learn. But his job is not to provide details necessary for knowledge. He forgot his purpose: to tell the naive what to believe. And to not provide details necessary to provide a valid conclusion - as we were all taught in junior high science.

Soundbyte term for what Spicer is supposed to do is 'brainwashing'. That means avoid details - learning them or reciting them.

sexobon 04-18-2017 05:19 PM

To summarize the thread: you can't justify a "War on Information" unless you have a smoking gun.

Griff 04-19-2017 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have one but I moved on from such things.

tw 04-19-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 987095)
To summarize the thread: you can't justify a "War on Information" unless you have a smoking gun.

Exactly why so many fear gun control.

Happy Monkey 04-19-2017 03:40 PM

A minor battle in the war on information was won today. Bill O'Reilly was fired.

Colbert will be devastated, I'm sure.