The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23913)

Clodfobble 11-01-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Unfortunately, both phases are a bit slow, and not very polished. And the Westeros-history bookends around the missions can make it seem futile. You win a decisive victory, and then a blurb pops up saying that despite that victory your rebellion was quickly quashed.

It's just the modern-day equivalent of, "I'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle!"

DanaC 11-01-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 768833)
It's just the modern-day equivalent of, "I'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle!"

*chokes on coffee*

God's teeth, that takes me back.

SirFatty 11-01-2011 02:45 PM

I read up to Dances with Dragons (2-3 years ago). Got burned out with the story line, how everyone gets killed and the story just creeps forward. I've walked away and not too sure I will go back.

He'll probably pull a Robert Jordan anyway.

DanaC 11-01-2011 02:49 PM

I never made it through to the end of Jordan's stuff. I lost the will to live quite early on.

This though, I dunno. I had the audiobooks and couldn't gel with them. I think I'd probably have liked the reader more had I not seen the tv series first.

I intend to get them in paperback. The high death count doesn't really put me off. I made it through the first two chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. I have stamina :p

SirFatty 11-01-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 769140)
The high death count doesn't really put me off. I made it through the first two chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. I have stamina :p

The death count isn't an issue other than all the main characters are being axed. Quite the opposite, the higher the better (Joe Abercrombie). I have not thought about Thomas Covenant in a very long time... I read only the first book, back in the mid 1980s.

DanaC 11-01-2011 04:33 PM

Love Abercrombie. The First Law Trilogy was one hell of a debut.

wolf 11-01-2011 05:03 PM

I have struggled my way to 39% of ADWD. It's rough going, nothing happens. I mean stuff happens, but its happened already, I'm just getting filler. I hear that at some point I'm going to exceed the timeline of the last book.

Happy Monkey 11-01-2011 05:42 PM

Yeah.

kerosene 11-03-2011 05:53 PM

Yeah, it was pretty slow for a while. I got bored with the Sunspear prince story line and found myself skipping a page here and there..."get on with it, already."

classicman 01-31-2012 08:42 AM

T- 2 months... I'm knee deep in rewatching season 1 reruns.

Clodfobble 01-31-2012 02:25 PM

Dammit, when will Season 1 be released on DVD and thus be available on Netflix?? I mean I've read the books, I know what happens, but I want to see it. [/whine]

classicman 01-31-2012 03:45 PM

The Game Of Thrones Begins On DVD March 6th
Quote:

Finally, HBO has announced a release date and full specs for the set. Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season is set to arrive on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital download on March 6th from HBO Home Video.

As is typical with HBO releases, Game of Thrones is a bit pricey. The Blu-ray will list at $79.98, with the DVD version coming in at $59.99. On the up side, both the Blu-ray and DVD sets will be packing a nice array of bonus features. They're including features that will let fans explore not just the making of the show, but the history of the rich universe George R.R. Martin has created in his Song of Ice and Fire books. While the price point might still seem high for 13 episodes, I think the bonus content tips the scales in favor of a must-buy. And with it hitting a month before the show returns to HBO, you should have just enough time to get through the first-season set before returning to Westeros.
Here's the rundown: Link

Clodfobble 01-31-2012 04:39 PM

Thanks, classic!

wolf 01-31-2012 06:22 PM

I am going to either need to come over to someone's house every week, or, if someone with HBO is willing to trust me with their passwords to HBOgo, I'll watch online.

classicman 01-31-2012 10:49 PM

Hiya wolf - remember me? :)