The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

Gravdigr 02-07-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 793409)
She's an attention lady of the night.

Well, the boy shits everywhere, all the time...No wonder she's a "soiled dove".

:sweat::lol2:

glatt 02-07-2012 10:59 AM

That's amazing and a little discouraging, that she can see a success story like Minifobette, and talk to an intelligent articulate person who has walked this path before her and she still isn't sure.

The only analogy I can think of is that we resisted knocking our son out and putting tubes in his ears for so long because were were a little afraid, and looking back, I wish we had done it much earlier.

footfootfoot 02-07-2012 12:35 PM

We've got friends whose kids are allergic to their pets. Do they get rid of the pets? No. They replace the pets when they die. The 8year old has had snot running out of her nose her entire life.

Denial; not just a river in Africa.

BigV 02-07-2012 03:41 PM

Thank you Clodfobble. I know so little about your situation, only what I've seen here. But Mr Clod's idea sounds plausible, stupid on her part but plausible. And I've seen, hell, I've lived the kind of fear that glatt suggests. Do they seem susceptible to the faith-healing idiocy we've all heard of? Are there other symptoms besides the shitty one you described? Maybe things just aren't bad enough to change. I know when ElderSon was much younger the prospect of having his hearing restored on a permanent basis by a cochlear implant was at once thrilling and terrifying. We ultimately decided the answer was "NO", but it was a very tough decision.

He was young, when language acquisition is in turbo mode, and he was not being immersed in language like other young children are. The idea that we would be risking permanent loss of his residual hearing, which was our small, weak bird in the hand by a failed operation (they insert a long hairlike electrode into the cochlea and the prospect of permanently breaking the cilia inside would effectively sever the physical biological chain making hearing in that ear impossible) was impossible to overcome. Not to mention the whole, "hey, let's crack open your kid's skull and stuff some cool electronics inside" was just too much.

So he kept his hearing aids, and his very limited hearing. And he's ok. But we agonized. I don't know your charge's mom's problem. Parenting is hard. I know she's fortunate to have you in her kid's life though. Good job, you.

Clodfobble 02-07-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Are there other symptoms besides the shitty one you described?

Well, there's the whole autism thing... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Do they seem susceptible to the faith-healing idiocy we've all heard of?

Oh, most definitely. She has at various times told me that her son is a "crystal child" (aka "indigo child,") and that she wanted to save up $7,000 for a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, even though they've only had success in about 10% of kids who have tried it--pretty reasonable success when they work, admittedly, but only with that small subset of the population. Personally I think the money is better spent on things that aren't such a long shot, but at least it's better than the crystal children bullshit. But both of those phases also seem to have passed.

The truth is she's still reeling from the shock, as many parents do, but she's been reeling for 2 years now. I feel like it's time for her to quit grieving and get down to business. But at the biomed moms meeting last night, I had more than one person tell me that they were in the same position as she is, for as long as she's been, and not to give up hope that she'll get rational soon.

Griff 02-07-2012 05:24 PM

You can lead a horse to water but he'll probably just poop in it.

BigV 02-07-2012 06:13 PM

goddamn homework tantrums...

aaauuuggghh!

footfootfoot 02-07-2012 09:04 PM

I think there is still room on The Crystal Ship for the crystal children

monster 02-08-2012 09:38 PM

USPS :mad:

infinite monkey 02-09-2012 07:50 AM

Me too. :mad:

monster 02-14-2012 06:56 AM

bloody kids. kid. little shit.

zippyt 02-14-2012 08:52 AM

What did Thor do now ???

monster 02-14-2012 07:27 PM

as the last straw, i discovered that instead of using his deodorant on his pits, he made patterns in it with the lid. No wonder it isn't working! And he didn't get dressed on time. And he stuffed a balled of mixed clean and dirty clothes in his bed only days after laundrymagedon which found him in the basement doing laundry all evening and he forgot to brush his teeth and hair and put socks on and he forgot to unpack his backpack and didn't put his clean laundry away AGAIN and.............. it went on. He also left his homework at home. (Tough life sucks, maybe you won't forget next time) and the lego robot from his focus study -which meant that 4 other kids had to suffer..... so I drove over with that. It's a 20 minute trip. He's on an indefinite electronics timeout now.

BigV 02-14-2012 09:26 PM

the calm before the teenage storm... you don't know how good you have it now.

HungLikeJesus 02-14-2012 09:50 PM

Is this about Brianna again?