The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Boatbuilding fever WTF is wrong with me? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23212)

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 12:43 PM

Boatbuilding fever WTF is wrong with me?

Last week I went on a short canoe trip with the various nutkins and it was fing great.

It also awakened my dormant boat building persona. I've built a Cat Boat and a wood strip canoe and worked on numerous wooden boats and have done a fair amount of deep water sailing. Now I have been borderline obsessed with building a smallish sailing dinghy (<16feet).

There are a number of realities that make this obsession really dangerously stupid, namely, I have about a year of solid work on my house before it is finished, easily an entire summer before the addition is sided. I've just resumed work on it now that my shoulders are almost pain free and strong enough to lift things overhead provided they weigh less than an average sized watermelon.

I'll post some photos later.

BigV 07-23-2010 01:07 PM

You're hosed. You are powerless against the sea, and you know it. Give in to the dark side, young padawan, we have waves.

By the way, you have any pictures of your boats?

glatt 07-23-2010 01:22 PM

You're one to talk, V. Pictures. Hah!

Nutkin, boats are fun. All work and no play sets a bad example for the little ones. Ask them whether they want a family boat or boring siding. Kids are wise. They will tell you to build the boat. Think of the fun for the whole family during the building process and subsequent messing about on the water.

Besides, it's too damn hot outside to be putting siding on a house.

Lamplighter 07-23-2010 01:30 PM

But be cool about it...

... work on it forever in your basement
... play the cello
... look melancholy when you have female visitors
... have deep love-lost memories
... occasionally consult your drunken mentor

Then get an agent and start your own TV series

BigV 07-23-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 672267)
You're one to talk, V. Pictures. Hah!

Nutkin, boats are fun. All work and no play sets a bad example for the little ones. Ask them whether they want a family boat or boring siding. Kids are wise. They will tell you to build the boat. Think of the fun for the whole family during the building process and subsequent messing about on the water.

Besides, it's too damn hot outside to be putting siding on a house.

forgot to add: /channeling glatt/ in my previous post. I'm so bad.

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 04:06 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I don't have anywhere near enough money to even start this project.

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 05:43 PM

Great plan squirell. Sounds like fun. Go for it. There are a thousand plans out there to build one. I just sold my Old Town 164 last month for $600 with bent shaft paddles. Hated to see it go but I have not used it for years.

Clodfobble 07-23-2010 06:46 PM

Ugh... I note all the male posters here telling you to go for it. Let me just pipe in with the rational, buzzkill female perspective (no doubt shared by your wife) that yes, this would be nothing but a huge money-suck, time-suck, and has a very decent chance of never even getting finished.

My husband's first muse about a boat-building project would be his last, no question about it.

xoxoxoBruce 07-23-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Getgo 07-23-2010 07:38 PM

Money aside, there's nothing wrong with having hobbies. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 672301)
Ugh... I note all the male posters here telling you to go for it. Let me just pipe in with the rational, buzzkill female perspective (no doubt shared by your wife) that yes, this would be nothing but a huge money-suck, time-suck, and has a very decent chance of never even getting finished.

My husband's first muse about a boat-building project would be his last, no question about it.

You MUST be high on crack. Do you think, even for a moment, that I mentioned this to my wife?
:eek:

At this point I am content to look at boat pr0n like this:

squirell nutkin 07-23-2010 08:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some boat building photos:

Maiden voyage with the friend whose garage I built the boat in.
Outer fiberglass on and ready to scrape the inside.
When the going gets tough, the tough get napping!

TheMercenary 07-23-2010 08:26 PM

Sell the wife. Build the boat.

monster 07-23-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 672301)

WTF? Skwurl, go for it. What the hell does it matter if it takes forever to complete ...it's not like anyone's waiting on it.

round here the rule is you want to start a large project, you have to find the space. Preferably not in the path between the kitchen and the front door.

Shawnee123 07-23-2010 08:47 PM

I agree with monster.