The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

monster 06-17-2010 12:01 AM

awesome. now get bust with that fobbleaid.....

Clodfobble 06-17-2010 12:04 AM

Or I could always just take her back to the pool. The pool passes are paid for, and it's not like I can stop her from drinking the pool water anyway, right? :)

xoxoxoBruce 06-17-2010 12:06 AM

Kind of hard to regulate the dosage, though.

HungLikeJesus 06-17-2010 08:03 AM

Plus she gets to drink all the other kids' pee!

Nirvana 06-17-2010 08:44 AM

I just love to hear whatever you find that makes Mini better, and I particularly love they way you tell the story! :)

glatt 06-17-2010 08:50 AM

Yeah, me too.

Spexxvet 06-17-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 663786)
Plus she gets to drink all the other kids' pee!

Bingo!

Hey Clod, are you getting any kind of inkling what could have caused your kids' autism? Sometimes knowing the "cure" will give insight into the disease. What the heck could be out of kilter in kids' bodies that causes autism symptoms, and that vitamin K and Gatorade fixes?

squirell nutkin 06-17-2010 09:19 AM

Wow Clod, That is a fortuitous discovery. It makes sense that without adequate electrolytes nerve functions would be impaired.

You, umm, should write a book. ;)

skysidhe 06-17-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 663808)
Wow Clod, That is a fortuitous discovery. It makes sense that without adequate electrolytes nerve functions would be impaired.

You, umm, should write a book. ;)

who would'a thunk

seriously potassium and magnesium rocks!

it helps calcium absorption

helps with muscle cramps too

jinx 06-17-2010 10:25 AM

I second the book idea. Srsly, you almost have to do that...

glatt 06-17-2010 10:30 AM

In your free time, of course.

Clodfobble 06-17-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel nutkin
It makes sense that without adequate electrolytes nerve functions would be impaired.

Supposedly, the electrolytes aren't so much an autism thing, they're just an issue because we're depleting the crap out of them with the high-dose Vitamin K (to account for the calcium buildup, which is--or can be--an autism thing.) How high-dose, you may ask? She gets 12 drops per day, and one drop is 1250% of the RDA. Anyway, by replenishing the electrolytes, we're really just making the K more effective at doing its thing, which is breaking down and removing her excess calcium. This ties into her digestive issues, because calcium is a primary building block of mucous, which her gut is apparently full of. Suck out the calcium, and you start to break down the mucous, after which point we can (in theory) try going after the bacteria again once its cute little slime shield is down.

Funny thing about the book idea, do you have any idea how many books are out there written by parents who have completely recovered their children? "Autism recovery" on Amazon gives 57 book results, about half of which are personal memoirs about specific children. The problem is no one reads them unless they already have an autistic child. But maybe I'll try to convince my son to write his own book about his experiences, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Hey Clod, are you getting any kind of inkling what could have caused your kids' autism? Sometimes knowing the "cure" will give insight into the disease. What the heck could be out of kilter in kids' bodies that causes autism symptoms, and that vitamin K and Gatorade fixes?

Experts in the field have written entire books answering just the small part of what we know with regard to that question. If you want, I can send you the paper that focuses on just the calcitriol problem. But that's by no means the whole disease, and it's not even part of every kid's disease.

squirell nutkin 06-17-2010 02:24 PM

The complexity and varied causes of this disease give me the sense that there is something much greater that is going on here, though I have no idea what it might be and I feel any attempt right now to identify it would be just more looking at the leaves of a handful of trees rather than the forest.

I suspect that the more you uncover and confer with other parents who have these issues with their kids the bigger the picture will become and common underlying causes will be revealed.

Clodfobble 06-17-2010 02:43 PM

Most researchers agree we're actually looking at a collection of different disorders, probably as many as 15-20. The "something much greater" is that so far, every piece they can pin down appears to be directly or indirectly immune-system-related.

There's a huge research initiative at Autism360.org, where you are encouraged to create a profile for your kid detailing every specific symptom they suffer from, every treatment that helped/hindered, and which symptoms each treatment affected. The goal is to have enough profiles to one day be able to use it like a social media system, where you can search for kids whose symptom profiles are an exact match to yours and see what treatments were effective for them.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2010 12:23 AM

That's great idea, but as you've related here, many parents won't even admit there's a problem. :(