The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

Sundae 08-02-2011 09:31 AM

Gin makes me gag.
As does heat.

Thank FSM I'm not working until Sept.
(Soz to all who are, with a sneaky added snicker).

footfootfoot 08-02-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 747536)
Probably a bad time to say, I would like a retired grey hound, not for any noble reason...tho..

Sky, you aren't going to make a penny on a retired grey hound. The reason they retire them is that they just don't win races. You really want to get a new, fresh one. Look for reputable breeders but expect to pay some coin.

Good luck!

Sundae 08-02-2011 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found out today our new neighbour (new as in less than 5 years) has 3 Italian Greyhounds.
They are very quiet, as in I rarely hear them barking.
Saw two of them today and they are GORGEOUS!
(picture is not them, but they are very similar)
But really lovely.

This should be in the Happy Thread I guess!

They look a bit like meerkats up close.
And are a bit nervy and licky.
And sculpted-looking, if that makes sense.

If I didn't have Diz (and I do, and I love him completely) I might be tempted to steal one. Only not really, as I'd be found out pretty soon and prosecuted, given they are neighbours.

£600 average apparently.
I didn't like them that much....

Trilby 08-02-2011 10:00 AM

Ooooo! Santa's Little Helpers!

cuuuuuuute!

grynch 08-02-2011 10:04 AM

neighbors of one of my brothers run a greyhound rescue site ... retired racers and such... and while cute the dogs I've seen have almost all been very timid and very skittish

I never felt "drawn" to any of them ( and consider myself a dog person ) and when they were let off of a lead ....................they just flew... old instincts I suppose.

infinite monkey 08-02-2011 10:08 AM

They're sight hounds, like Irish Wolfhounds. Unlike smell hounds like a bloodhound, they'll chase whatever they see.

I want an Irish Wolfhound. That's my dream dog. I also want a pet cow. A horse or two. No monkeys, though.

DanaC 08-02-2011 10:34 AM

There's a guy near me with an Italian Greyhound. Right bonny thing it is too. Incredibly precise movements.

£600 ain't such a big tag for a pedigree. Bearded Collie pups sell for anywhere betwen £200 and £800 depending on lineage.

Sundae 08-02-2011 10:46 AM

£600 is 'spensive to me!
Diz was only £150!

Yes, that's also out of my price range now, but when I think about what I got for it, I am so grateful. And that's the draw I guess.
Although both my boys were neutered, whereas her girls are entire. The main reason I saw them today was that they are being segregated from the boy because they are on heat.

I'm quite stern about these things. If you pay £600 for an animal you can afford to get it fixed. I'll listen to anyone who disagrees, but personally I am all about pets being fixed. It's NOT natural. It DOES hurt. But it is kind in the long run. IMHO.

We didn't get our dog fixed. Money. And it was a kick in the cunt every time she was in season. Mum & Dad chose to go on holiday instead.
They fixed all our cats though.
Cheaper, maybe.

I've always had boy cats - chance not judgement - and I had two operated on, and two came to me already done. It felt right.

Nirvana 08-02-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 748016)
They're sight hounds, like Irish Wolfhounds. Unlike smell hounds like a bloodhound, they'll chase whatever they see.

I want an Irish Wolfhound. That's my dream dog. I also want a pet cow. A horse or two. No monkeys, though.

Irish Wolfhounds only live to be 7-8 they break your heart they are the sweetest dear creatures.

Pet cows I got em :) I had an Italian Greyhound once his name was Cyclone :)[/superficial posting]

infinite monkey 08-02-2011 11:04 AM

I know that about the Irish. My ex and I went to an IW show in Lexington...over 400 of them in the show, many staying at the same hotel. I learned about their short life-span. But OMG they're so gentle and cute and HUGE. It makes me almost cry thinking about losing one so relatively young. I fell in love with them the first year I saw the Westminster Dog Show (I'd stayed home from work...YEARS ago, and caught it...for a few years after that I'd plan days off to watch it. Before interwebz, of course.)

I'll probably never be in the right situation for dog-owning anyway.

Spexxvet 08-02-2011 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I want a pet capybara

Nirvana 08-02-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 748027)

I'll probably never be in the right situation for dog-owning anyway.

Of course you will and you will post photos here of Ian or Colin or whatever his name will be :)

infinite monkey 08-02-2011 11:31 AM

I never know my pets' name until I see them. Then the perfect name just comes to me.

Like Toonces Riley (I thought he could drive a car)
Gainesboro Thomas (He's part Russian Blue)
Madison Toto (He followed me home and needed medicine)
Taj Ma Hall (she was calico-y and had an orange dot on her forehead)

Sundae 08-02-2011 01:12 PM

I inherited the names of my last two boys.
Dylan was a name I'd have been tempted to give anyway, but it was one the breeder suggested I might want to change. He was under a year old and she usually called him Twinkle.

Diz was Dizney.
Oh no, no, no.
Diz he became. Diz he remains.
I will elongate his name to The Diz-cat and far more silly ones I won't admit to. And my nephew calls him Dizzy. But that's as far as it goes.

infinite monkey 08-02-2011 01:19 PM

Like me talking to Gaines: hey gainesy wainesy kee kat boy. gainesy wainesy bugsy wugsy is a kee kat boy, a kee kat boy...