The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Corporations don't die... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26386)

infinite monkey 12-20-2011 12:31 PM

I like that: lookie-loo. :)

I tried sales for about a minute. I SUCK at it.

And I do get the concept of the big business saying "thanks for not doing business with us" but it is indeed a large part of Ze Problem!

Griff 12-20-2011 04:24 PM

I sometimes felt like I was dangerously good at it when I was selling bikes. You create a little narrative for the customer that makes them feel whatever it is they need to feel. It felt sorta creepy, but I never charged a non-buyer, [Carl]so I've got that going for me.[/Spackler]

Spexxvet 12-21-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 781622)
So? He's the seller. He could have told me to fuck off. He doesn't have to sell to me.

Just as I don't have to buy from him. Fuck his "time."

AT&T did not "have" to pay T-Mobile. T-Mobile may not have agreed to negotiate without that stipulation. AT&T should have put in a rider that stated that they would not have to pay if the gov prevented the transaction, or some such.

ZenGum 12-21-2011 06:53 PM

What BS. Coporations justify their profit margins on the grounds that they are taking risk. Well boo hoo, this was a risk, it went bad, deal with it. Not every deal goes through.

tw 12-21-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 782059)
Coporations justify their profit margins on the grounds that they are taking risk.

More leaks about what AT&T was doing. AT&T was delaying equipment deliveries from suppliers (ie Juniper Networks). Telling their suppliers this was due to not purchasing T-mobile. Leaks even say why AT&T was doing that. So that equipment providers would lobby their politicians permit the T-mobile buy-out.

What risk? Risk means doing something that would result in better products and services. AT&T, instead, was trying to buy politicians and reap profits at the expense of consumers. That sounds more like bribery and fraud.

So AT&T is listed in Consumer Reports as the worst in customer service. Of course. AT&T (like GM or Eastman Kodak) only want profits; not earn those profits doing better service and products. AT&T did what is taught in business schools. Including spending money only to eliminate free market competition and manipulate government regulators. When management comes from business schools, then outperforming the competition with better products is too hard.

classicman 12-21-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Leaks even say why AT&T was doing that.
So that they wouldn't buy duplicate equipment seems far more likely.

infinite monkey 12-22-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 782084)
More leaks about what AT&T was doing. AT&T was delaying equipment deliveries from suppliers (ie Juniper Networks). Telling their suppliers this was due to not purchasing T-mobile. Leaks even say why AT&T was doing that. So that equipment providers would lobby their politicians permit the T-mobile buy-out.

What risk? Risk means doing something that would result in better products and services. AT&T, instead, was trying to buy politicians and reap profits at the expense of consumers. That sounds more like bribery and fraud.

So AT&T is listed in Consumer Reports as the worst in customer service. Of course. AT&T (like GM or Eastman Kodak) only want profits; not earn those profits doing better service and products. AT&T did what is taught in business schools. Including spending money only to eliminate free market competition and manipulate government regulators. When management comes from business schools, then outperforming the competition with better products is too hard.

Amen, brutha!

I have absolutely no business sense, not even any sense about my own personal business called My Life. But I know there's something rotten in the state of Denmark.

As a side note, wtf is going on with gas prices? There have been numerous occasions recently where I've seen gas going for 3 "OH" something, then a couple hours later it's at 3 THIRTY something. It's been rapid cycling, and it makes NO freaking sense. What, some CEO needed an eighth house real quick-like? Mayhaps for a holiday party? It's sick sick sick, and we have to sit here and be grateful and hop right on it if gas dares to 'dip' to 3 "OH" something.

Lamplighter 02-22-2012 11:59 AM

One more for the corporations - brought to you by your US Supreme Court
... Corporations can now own your rivers and do with them as they please.

PRIVATE PROPERTY - NO TRESPASSING

Reuters
Feb 22, 2012

US top court rules for PPL on Montana riverbeds

Quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday for a unit of PPL Corp
and overturned a decision that granted Montana ownership of riverbeds
underlying company-owned hydroelectric dams in a case with an estimated $50 million at stake.
<snip>
The company had argued the contested stretches of water were not navigable
when Montana became a state in 1889 and therefore the title to the submerged lands
under the dams should not go to the state.
I guess the Indians never conducted trade on the rivers before Montana became a state.
Oh wait, those were Indians... Nevermind