The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Photo Contests (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Odometer Poker (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23881)

glatt 02-20-2014 06:31 PM

I've never seen a truck gauge before. It's cool that fuel is so prominent.

Pamela 02-22-2014 10:36 PM

That is very important information.

Today I learned...that my truck doesn't go lower than 31 gallons indicated. However, sloshing fuel will change the reading lower. I have a 165 gallon capacity and I put in 158 gallons. I was beyond fumes and was only running on prayers. $708 bill. Ouch. Note to self, try to avoid buying diesel in New York in future.

footfootfoot 03-06-2014 11:43 AM

Here's my entry. I just happened to look down when I was driving and saw this was coming up in 3/10 of a mile. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/3eny7a7u.jpg

Gravdigr 03-06-2014 11:53 AM

Nice catch, but, that's a weird pic. The odo/tripmeter numbers are legible, as are the needles for tach/speedo...But the numbers for the tach/speedo, and the numbers/letters, as well as the needles, for temp & fuel gauges are double vision territory.

Kinda weird.

footfootfoot 03-06-2014 01:59 PM

that is weird how they are sharp.

lumberjim 03-06-2014 02:03 PM

Reverse doppler effect

Clodfobble 03-06-2014 04:26 PM

I bet the camera twisted clockwise/counterclockwise rather than sliding laterally. It's like those time lapse star photos where the stars on the outside make long curved lines, but the one star in the center of the photo looks pretty much just like a dot.

BigV 03-07-2014 09:23 AM

The camera bumped up/down during the exposure. All the elements are doubled, it's just a lot easier to see in areas of high contrast. Even the odometer readout.

glatt 03-07-2014 09:31 AM

The double images are more pronounced at the top of the image than at the bottom, so I think instead of a bump, it was a pivot/tilt. The lower half of the image stayed in the same area of the frame and remained sharp, but as the camera tilted upward, the upper part of the image got that double image motion blur.

Easier for me to visualize than explain, but basically the pivot point was the lower half of the image, so it stayed sharper there.

footfootfoot 03-07-2014 11:18 AM

I'm going to go with the Glattfobble explanation.

infinite monkey 03-07-2014 12:20 PM

Huh? Isn't the double image just the reflection of the gauges on the piece of plastic that covers the gauges? and it angles. so...

or have i just gone stupid? is there really some sort of complex sci-fi explanation? or are most of you stoned and feeling really smart?

glatt 03-07-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 894128)
or are most of you stoned and feeling really smart?

*cough*

Gravdigr 03-07-2014 02:05 PM

Infi, I'm sure that you are many things...I'm equally sure that stupid is not one of those things.

But, I'm going with the Glattsplanation. An up/down jiggle would produce the effect we're seeing, and would not be as pronounced in the vertical plane (explaining the more focused gauge needles, somewhat).

xoxoxoBruce 03-07-2014 04:59 PM

Maybe it's a little shaky because he's taking pictures of his instrument panel at 75 fucking miles an hour... probably drunk... in a school zone.. on icy roads... with children in the car! :smashfrea

infinite monkey 03-08-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 894140)
Infi, I'm sure that you are many things...I'm equally sure that stupid is not one of those things.

But, I'm going with the Glattsplanation. An up/down jiggle would produce the effect we're seeing, and would not be as pronounced in the vertical plane (explaining the more focused gauge needles, somewhat).

Yes, I am many things. I'm a mosaic of madness. A conglomeration of crazy. A diorama of dementia.

But anyway. The more focused gauge needles are because the needles are closer to the aforementioned reflective plastic that is causing the doubly images in the picture.

Oh never mind, I'm sure it's way more difficult than I'm making it. ;)