The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   vet memories (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25932)

Big Sarge 09-21-2011 12:46 AM

vet memories

do the dreams or flashbacks get better? i'm drawn to certain movies, but they make me have horrible dreams. almost a compulsion. i should have been asleep 2 hours ago, but i'm glued to we were soldiers even though i know dreams will be horrible. our unit video for camp hit used songs ripped from this film.

most of you on here have seen far worse things than me, does it ever end? i'm no hero or combat arms soldier like so many on here were. i was just a platoon sgt in mi & mp's.

i mean the only time i fell safe and at peace is when i'm at drill or on mob. i've taken the max dose of meds tonight and they haven't phased me at all.

limey 09-21-2011 03:03 AM

Oh Sarge! I wish I could send you Sundae - she'd change your dreams I think.

DanaC 09-21-2011 03:42 AM

Is there any counselling available to you Sarge? Something like neurolinguistic programming might be really helpful in sorting out how you relate to things like the shows and movies that give you the dreams. It doesn't involve you sitting there and pouring out you heart and life to the therapist, but more developing a set of mental tools and reshaping how you experience these kinds of dreams and memories. Like, developing a mental toolkit.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon Sarge. And I also echo limey's wish that she could send you Sundae. Though I think if you two ever did end up in the same room the explosion of awesome might just endanger the western world.

HungLikeJesus 09-21-2011 08:44 PM

Oh, vet memories.

I thought it was a 'w.'

TheMercenary 09-23-2011 06:18 AM

Not so sure they end so much as you learn to deal with them.

footfootfoot 09-23-2011 10:08 AM

My dad (WWII Pacific Theater, Marines) got up to about 2 to 3 hours a day of meditation. He also read a lot on zen, philosophy, and spirituality.
I think it helped him quit a bit, over the years he certainly mellowed, though he never spoke about his experiences but once very obliquely.

I would say meditation has helped me sort things out more that anything, The zoloft ain't bad either, but it only does so much, the rest is on me.

Good luck to you.

Sundae 09-23-2011 10:27 AM

Hey Sarge, we should set up a charitable fund to get us together!
It may not work out, but at least one of us will have had a holiday :)
Unselfishly I'd like you to come to the UK, just because being a tour guide is so much fun.
Oh wait - that's selfish!

Anyway.
Can't help at all with this, wish I could.
I have anxiety dreams all the time, about not measuring up, failing, letting people down etc. They're harsh (and before I was on anti-depressants they were debilitating) but I haven't seen what you have.

Counselling. If you can get it then go for it.
Or get your GP to write prescription for me to come and rub your old bones before you sleep.

Big Sarge 09-23-2011 10:31 AM

Sundae. You are so sweet. I'm actually saving for a trip to the UK to see you next year. I bet I will have such a big grin when I finally see that beautiful face in person!!

Sundae 09-23-2011 10:36 AM

No, don't tell me that, in case it doesn't come off.
Except you have now and I am already a bit yay.

Gravdigr 09-23-2011 10:40 AM

I want to be on the sidelines for that meeting.

"Jeebus you're tall!"

"Jeebus you're short!"

"Jeebusisthatanabortedtwin?!"

Sundae 09-23-2011 10:44 AM

EWWWWWWWWWWW!
WTF?

Grav, you are a very wrong man, sir.

footfootfoot 09-23-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 758011)

Here's a great idea to make that happen. Plan to record your *ahem* encounters and pre-sell copies of the video.

You two could probably put a decent down payment on a cottage with what's left even after airfare and Panda suit dry cleaning bills.

TheMercenary 09-23-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 758011)
It may not work out, but at least one of us will have had a holiday :)
Unselfishly I'd like you to come to the UK, just because being a tour guide is so much fun.
Oh wait - that's selfish!

Anyway.
Can't help at all with this, wish I could.
I have anxiety dreams all the time, about not measuring up, failing, letting people down etc. They're harsh (and before I was on anti-depressants they were debilitating) but I haven't seen what you have.

Counselling. If you can get it then go for it.
Or get your GP to write prescription for me to come and rub your old bones before you sleep.

I would donate to that....

Big Sarge 10-03-2011 07:47 AM

Well, some of you know things are getting pretty tough again. I've run out of some meds, but I have an appointment tomorrow to get back on track. Work stress is tremendous. I had 3 days of grand jury. During this, the local leader of the NAACP showed up in the waiting room to support a B/M accused of raping a girl from ages 12 till 16. The suspect has confessed, but he has caused enough tension my victim had to lay on a bench crying. I had to help carry her into the grand jury.

Now the NAACP has publicly accused me of picking on minorities following the arrest of 10 blacks in one evening. We got 2xDUI, poss of Sch III, an outstanding warrant, and 5 for pnk for drinking 3 bottles of gin in their car on a public street. They were all associated with a party hosted by an Alderman

The final indignation occurred when I was accused of being a Nazi by a black civic leader because of my tattoos. I had to remove my shirt to reveal they are all US Army related. The one that drew special attention is my blood type & allergies.

The whole kicker is my name is of jewish origin and I have been trying to convert to Messianic Judaism

footfootfoot 10-03-2011 09:10 AM

sux Sarge. You should tell them (this is gunmaster's btw) That you are not a racist because racism is a crime and everyone knows crime is for black people.

;)