The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   if News not 'fake' -why was Trump loss predicted? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32583)

Flint 02-28-2017 12:15 PM

if News not 'fake' -why was Trump loss predicted?

Of course, the real question is, "can we trust polls?" but... because mainstream media continuously seeks to build a narrative based on polling data, an erosion of our confidence in polling data equals a valid reason to doubt the veracity of what they're telling us is happening in the world.

Step one: major polling aggregates predict Clinton victory as about 90-100% certain. (With the exception of Nate Silver's 538 which gave Clinton a 71.4% chance.)

Step two: Trump wins, everyone is shocked, and the world changes overnight--with no warning!

Step three: "..fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.”

Today the media is telling me that support for Obamacare is higher than ever. According to polls.

:::internally remembering that one time when all the polls were wrong:::

Trump saying 'fake news' is ridiculous, on a factual level, but it works on a gut level because the news betrayed us.

DanaC 02-28-2017 12:16 PM

Surely we all understand though, that there is a vast gulf between predicting what will happen and reporting what did happen?

Flint 02-28-2017 12:22 PM

Sure, according to nerds who think they know everything.

footfootfoot 02-28-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 983196)
Step one: major polling aggregates predict Clinton victory as about 90-100% certain. (With the exception of footfootfoot who gave Clinton 0% and Nate Silver's 538 which gave Clinton a 71.4% chance.)

Pamela 02-28-2017 06:16 PM

Polls are not the problem.

People who report polls are the problem.

Oversampling the favored group in nearly every Clinton/Trump poll caused the disconnect. They wanted SO MUCH for Clinton to win that they made it happen, kinda like the liberal atheist version of prayer.

Now, Trump Derangement Syndrome has taken hold of those same people who believed the polls, much to my amusement.

Happy Monkey 02-28-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 983196)
Step one: major polling aggregates predict Clinton victory as about 90-100% certain. (With the exception of Nate Silver's 538 which gave Clinton a 71.4% chance.)

To be fair, only an aggregator who said 100% Clinton was actually wrong. "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

The pre-aggragation polls are more checkable, as their percentage can be compared to counted votes.

You could probably judge the aggregator's results somewhat, by comparing the actual difference between each poll and relevant vote count with the assumed error range and bias applied to it in the aggregator's formula, and see how much that affects the results.

The polls got the nationwide stats pretty accurately, but not some key swing states. Though, if the difference was within their margin of error, there's not much they could have done about that.

Of course, none of that matters on the gut level.

BigV 02-28-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 983248)
To be fair, only an aggregator who said 100% Clinton was actually wrong. "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

The pre-aggragation polls are more checkable, as their percentage can be compared to counted votes.

You could probably judge the aggregator's results somewhat, by comparing the actual difference between each poll and relevant vote count with the assumed error range and bias applied to it in the aggregator's formula, and see how much that affects the results.

The polls got the nationwide stats pretty accurately, but not some key swing states. Though, if the difference was within their margin of error, there's not much they could have done about that.

Of course, none of that matters on the gut level.

So you're saying feelings matter more than facts...

xoxoxoBruce 02-28-2017 10:49 PM

To the majority of voters, YES.