The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Joplin is a mess (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25257)

Pete Zicato 05-24-2011 02:01 PM

Joplin is a mess

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/incre...f-a-joplin-mis

monster 05-24-2011 02:11 PM

I don't doubt it's a mess, it's just awful. But I don't think those pics are actually the same spot. I wouldn't doubt the devastated spot shown looked pretty damn similar to the top pic before, hard as that is to believe, I just don't think it's the same spot. there's a curb to the right in the second picture, and the hill doesn't look quite right.

But omg that's terrible. Nothing to do but bulldoze and start over, minus loved ones. :(

classicman 05-24-2011 08:38 PM

Agreed, I think the second is up the road a bit.
Damn, watched a bunch of coverage on it earlier tonight. Just awful.

monster 05-24-2011 11:03 PM

We've been to Joplin. It looked nice.

Pico and ME 05-26-2011 05:50 PM

Absolutely chilling first person video of the tornado hitting. It gets me everytime I watch it.

The Aftermath. Simply amazing.

Clodfobble 05-26-2011 06:13 PM

I'm completely amazed that anyone in there got out alive.

Pico and ME 05-26-2011 06:33 PM

Making that mad scramble into the cooler saved them. What a frightening experience.

Yesterday we had tornado warnings from 3pm til 11pm. I am more worried about the eventuality of a tornado now than I have ever been before. I put Turbo and Pico into a crate and got them and important paperwork downstairs to the basement with my purse, flashlights and a radio. I never took precautions like that before.

lookout123 05-27-2011 02:09 AM

dumb as this might sound (paranoid maybe), might I suggest you make copies of important paperwork and bury them in a location you would be able to locate should everything in your entire neighborhood be flattened?

Say 8 paces north and 6 east of a particular not-possible-to-erase spot in town? I have a pelican case of crap buried about a mile and a half from the house on the other side of the ridge in a spot nobody will just stumble across but one that I'll easily find regardless of the nature of a disaster.

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid and anal retentive.

ZenGum 05-27-2011 06:41 AM

Or, like, your mum's attic 20 kilometres away. Return the favour.

BigV 05-27-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 737015)
dumb as this might sound (paranoid maybe), might I suggest you make copies of important paperwork and bury them in a location you would be able to locate should everything in your entire neighborhood be flattened?

Say 8 paces north and 6 east of a particular not-possible-to-erase spot in town? I have a pelican case of crap buried about a mile and a half from the house on the other side of the ridge in a spot nobody will just stumble across but one that I'll easily find regardless of the nature of a disaster.

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid and anal retentive.

you must not associate with any geocachers....

or you would be paranoider.

DucksNuts 05-30-2011 04:45 AM

My ex is from Joplin, and although I had a look at this tornado path and its clearly not anywhere near their house - Im not sure what the etiquette is.... I see on the web that some people that are clearly family have lost their lives (unusual surname and they are all related)...I would like to know if he, his brothers, parents (separated - Joplin and Carthage) are ok...but ......I havent heard from him since he left in 2006 and I only have her email address.

Clodfobble 05-30-2011 10:29 AM

An acquaintance grew up in Joplin, and her elderly great-aunt's house was right in the path of the tornado, completely erased.

Yesterday morning my friend got a text from her dad saying that her great aunt was, quite unexpectedly, alive and well. Turns out she happened to leave a couple days before the storm to visit relatives on the other side of the family, and hadn't thought to check in (I guess she thought everyone already knew where she was.)

DucksNuts 06-05-2011 02:49 AM

Google stalk shows dickhead in Oklahoma

That will teach him to write coldfusion articles!!

casimendocina 06-05-2011 03:22 AM

:D