The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   7/13/2004: Baited bull (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6314)

Undertoad 07-13-2004 02:56 PM

7/13/2004: Baited bull

http://cellar.org/2004/baitedbull.jpg

The Spanish bull running events are always publicized but what about this? This is bull baiting, where the bull is encouraged to run right into the drink. I don't think this is the same form thought to be cruel in the past...? (I guss the damp lassie pulling herself out of the water has baited a bull, if not this one, a previous one.)

Apparently it's not bad for the bulls, not as bad as getting a NASCAR number etched right onto their sides. They get pulled out of the water quickly after they jump into it.

If they aren't hurt I imagine it would be just hilarious to see this massive animal chasing you and then, running right over the edge and making a big splash.

jaguar 07-13-2004 03:58 PM

I would have thought the biggest problem would be dropping in fast enough without jumping forward enough to have the danger of a couple of tons of angry animal with sharp bits landing on you.

I have got to go to this thing one one of these years.

ladysycamore 07-13-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
The Spanish bull running events are always publicized but what about this? This is bull baiting, where the bull is encouraged to run right into the drink. I don't think this is the same form thought to be cruel in the past...? (I guss the damp lassie pulling herself out of the water has baited a bull, if not this one, a previous one.)

Haaaa, she almost looks like, "What Da F**k?!?!?" :D

Nice capture shot. :thumpsup:

sixfeet 07-13-2004 08:19 PM

This would be a hell of a lot funnier if the bull just happened to look at the camera right then.

Sun_Sparkz 07-13-2004 08:22 PM

bastards.

how can anyone get pleasure out of poor animals (whom from the pictorial evidence look to me in very bad shape, and cruelly branded) running around confused and frightned and then being tricked into plunging into the water. I love it when the bulls end up sticking people. serves them right.

bastards!

bluesdave 07-13-2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
how can anyone get pleasure out of poor animals

Sparkie, those people are morons. You will never convince them of it, though. People with that mentality think that we humans are above all other life on Earth, and anything we want to do is OK. Much like some members of the US government! :mad2:

Elspode 07-14-2004 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave
Much like some members of the US government! :mad2:

Make up your mind...are you talking about humans, or are you talking about members of the US government?

wolf 07-14-2004 12:21 AM

Last I saw the score it was Bulls 18, Humans 0, no fatalities in Pamplona.

bluesdave 07-14-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
Make up your mind...are you talking about humans, or are you talking about members of the US government?

Very good Els, I like that. :thumb:

You do raise a good question. We know that Bush is human - no animal could be that dumb, but what about Rumsfeld? :eyebrow:

Mundofer 07-14-2004 02:28 AM

Not everybody in spain...

Not everybody in Spain like bullfighting. In fact there is a LOT of people that hate it (like myself).

The bad thing about Pamplona is not the "encierro" in the morning (bulls wins in this one, two days ago, eight men hurted), but the same bulls are killed in the "corrida" in the afternoon.

stlbob 07-14-2004 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave
People with that mentality think that we humans are above all other life on Earth

Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."-KJV

Here is a different version:
Genesis 1:26 "Then God said, 'Let us make people in our image, to be like ourselves. They will be masters over all life--the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the livestock, wild animals, and small animals.'" -NLT

If you believe The Bible, we ARE above all other life on earth (including vegitation in a different passage).

God said it - I believe it.

Happy Monkey 07-14-2004 06:48 AM

And if you give your kid a puppy, is it funny if he pokes it with needles until it dies?

lumberjim 07-14-2004 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbob

God said it - I believe it.

bullshit. god didnt say it. god didnt say anything. some fucking hippie said it 2000 years ago, and dumbasses have been regurgitating it ever since.

feh

Cyber Wolf 07-14-2004 08:44 AM

What exactly do they do with the bulls after they're killed? Is there a big BBQ afterwards or are they dumped somewhere to rot? Personally, I'd be happier to hear that they're put to good use after being killed.

pdaoust 07-14-2004 10:42 AM

"some fucking hippie"?

Quote:

some fucking hippie said it 2000 years ago, and dumbasses have been regurgitating it ever since.
dude... why the vitriol? I'm a Christian, and I don't feel the need to call Mohammed a "fucking terrorist", and I don't call Déscartes a "fucking satanist"... please be a little more tolerant, and maybe dabble a little into history and sociology before you generalise a person as a 'hippie' who said inane stuff that 'dumbasses' have been 'regurgitating', as if we're all sheep.

(true, many Christians are sheep, but that doesn't mean every Christian is a sheep...)

by the way, crazy picture. poor beastie.