The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   10/3/2003: Albino gorilla has skin cancer (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4067)

Undertoad 10-03-2003 01:09 PM

10/3/2003: Albino gorilla has skin cancer

http://cellar.org/2003/albinogorilla.jpg

A touching one today, this is Copito de Nieve, 'Snowflake' at the Barcelona zoo, Spain. He's been considered a mascot of Barcelona since he was captured in 1966.

He is the only albino gorilla in the world, and he is dying. Vets told the world that Snowflake has terminal skin cancer and is expected to live only a few months.

He's had 22 gorilla kids in his 37 years at the zoo, but none were albino. The genetic trait is out there, and maybe one day it will be expressed again, but for now, this is the last one.

Jacque Strapp 10-03-2003 01:28 PM

It looks to me like he is coming on to the picture taker. Maybe he is ready for kid #23.

MachineyBear 10-03-2003 03:17 PM

He can't fool me.. He bleaches it.

quzah 10-03-2003 03:34 PM

Re: 10/3/2003: Albino gorilla has skin cancer

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
He's been considered a mascot of Barcelona since he was captured in 1966.
How depressing. Almost 40 years in captivity. I wonder if he can even remember being free now...

Quzah.

daniwong 10-03-2003 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jacque Strapp
It looks to me like he is coming on to the picture taker. Maybe he is ready for kid #23.
he does look a little frisky. Sad though that he is dying. Maybe he knows that and is trying to live his life to the fullest.

gossard187 10-03-2003 08:57 PM

Re: Re: 10/3/2003: Albino gorilla has skin cancer

Quote:

Originally posted by quzah

How depressing. Almost 40 years in captivity. I wonder if he can even remember being free now...

Quzah.

I think "free" means different things to animals (not to start a huge thread here). He may or may not remember living in the wild, but 22 kids, all the food he needs, never having to defend himself from other males, he may have no problem living in captivity. after gorillas pass adolesence they calm down a great deal and probably don't care whether they are free to roam or not, because he was still satisfying all his feral "needs". This is all speculation of course.

xoxoxoBruce 10-03-2003 11:22 PM

Quote:

(not to start a huge thread here).
That may be wishful thinking.:D
I agree he's been living large and I doubt he's been contemplating the meaning of life or his place in the grand sceme of things.

LUVBUGZ 10-03-2003 11:51 PM

Poor Snowflake:( . I'm not big on zoos (for reasons I won't get into here, mainly not to "start a huge thread"), but in Snowflake's case I have to pause and wonder if maybe he did do better in the zoo. If left in the wild I wonder what his longevity would have been, being an albino and all. Albinos in any species don't tend to do well in the wild.

LUVBUGZ 10-03-2003 11:54 PM

I wonder if they had taught him to use sunscreen if it would have reduced his chance of getting skin cancer or at least prolonged it?

OnyxCougar 10-06-2003 04:29 PM

I thought Albinos of any species were already light-sensitive? Why'd they let him get so much sun???

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2003 06:24 PM

Because you can't sell tickets to a hidden gorilla.:(

OnyxCougar 10-06-2003 06:28 PM

Can sell tickets to an INDOOR gorilla. Can't sell em to a dead one.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2003 08:11 PM

Naw, the activists wouldn't stand for not letting out. They'd demand he be accorded his right to get cancer like every other albino gorilla.:rolleyes:

Skunks 10-07-2003 12:32 AM

So, I'm sitting here, phrasing a joke about eating him once he's dead while I wait for the page to load (I miss cable, as much as it sucked), and I'm struck with a question I'm too lazy to research for myself:

Is it hazardous to eat cancerous flesh?

I'm guessing not, because you're primarily aiming for the muscle and, unless you're developing a "Gorilla" line of sushi, it's likely cooked.

Regardless of the obvious logic, eating formerly diseased animals isn't something I've ever given much thought to. Go figure.

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2003 04:35 AM

Interesting question, Skunks. I would suppose diseased animals in the wild are eaten when they die. Maybe it depends what they are eaten by. Scavengers tend to have stronger digestive systems.:)