The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Power Grid Attack (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31743)

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2016 06:03 PM

Power Grid Attack

1 Attachment(s)
Unknown bad guys took down much of the Ukraine's power grid.

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2017 02:25 PM

And the beat goes on...
Quote:

Symantec on Wednesday revealed a new campaign of attacks by a group it is calling Dragonfly 2.0, which it says targeted dozens of energy companies in the spring and summer of this year. In more than 20 cases, Symantec says the hackers successfully gained access to the target companies’ networks. And at a handful of US power firms and at least one company in Turkey—none of which Symantec will name—their forensic analysis found that the hackers obtained what they call operational access: control of the interfaces power company engineers use to send actual commands to equipment like circuit breakers, giving them the ability to stop the flow of electricity into US homes and businesses.

“There’s a difference between being a step away from conducting sabotage and actually being in a position to conduct sabotage ... being able to flip the switch on power generation,” says Eric Chien, a Symantec security analyst. “We’re now talking about on-the-ground technical evidence this could happen in the US, and there’s nothing left standing in the way except the motivation of some actor out in the world.”
When you suddenly stop the juice going out it's a pain in the ass for the public. I can't flush my toilet, traffic and street lights out, have to watch TV by flashlight, and communications fail. Most critical things have backup power but my ice cream melts. It's also bad for the generators to be suddenly constipated, they'll probably trip out and restart can be a long procedure, but that's only after the operators are sure they have control.

When would it happen? A holiday, a Friday afternoon rush hour, Superbowl Sunday, during a North Korea rocket attack, during a Mexican or Canadian invasion?

sexobon 10-07-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 996927)
... , have to watch TV by flashlight, ...

:lol2:

orthodoc 10-07-2017 06:46 PM

Doubtless during a Canadian invasion. That’s when we will actually be suspicious, not merely Canadian. ;)

Don’t forget access to water; that will be the critical issue. Most of us will do fine without eating for awhile, but lack of water will mess us up.

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 996934)
Don’t forget access to water; that will be the critical issue. Most of us will do fine without eating for awhile, but lack of water will mess us up.

I'm aware of that, that's why I keep a large supply of consumable liquids on hand. I don't worry about them spoiling without refrigeration, because the alcohol content should kill any invading germs. :yesnod:

sexobon 10-08-2017 09:29 AM

It's good to have your own watering hole.

sexobon 10-08-2017 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep this folded up in my wallet for getting water to survive.

Attachment 62049

I keep a kite, a key, and a spool of wire in my kit bag so I can get electricity out of it too.

Griff 10-09-2017 06:01 AM

Meanwhile in America: The good guys are a long way from fixing the grid in PR.

xoxoxoBruce 10-09-2017 10:05 AM

Plus the PR power company is bankrupt, so the chances of them burying the replacement lines is between slim and none.:(

richlevy 10-13-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 996927)
And the beat goes on...

When you suddenly stop the juice going out it's a pain in the ass for the public. I can't flush my toilet, traffic and street lights out, have to watch TV by flashlight, and communications fail. Most critical things have backup power but my ice cream melts.?

Sooo glad I have my own backup generator :)(which uses natural gas from the utility...:right:)

xoxoxoBruce 10-13-2017 01:03 PM

I have a couple friends who have them, as long as the gas flows, which is the least likely utility to be be disrupted. But without that option, units using gasoline or diesel power are a pain in the ass to maintain. Bottled gas is a little better but still requires having fuel on hand.

glatt 10-14-2017 11:18 AM

If the Tesla roof tiles ever happen, that may just be the answer. Depending on price.

xoxoxoBruce 10-14-2017 02:04 PM

The trouble with that is batteries. They can be a bigger pain than fuel.

Undertoad 10-14-2017 02:27 PM

grid storage could be decentralized, is Tesla's approach, apparently... big ol solar plus battery farm powers 5000 homes on an island in HI

there are powerful batteries in the cars now.... hmmmmm.... "neighbor could I borrow 50 miles worth of range from your Model S? I need hot water for a shower, and then I'll dry some clothes. I promise to give it back tomorrow morning"

still gonna take a while

xoxoxoBruce 10-14-2017 02:34 PM

That's what I was thinking of, Tesla's battery in the home wall. Even if the price comes down they're still big and heavy to handle, and unless some miracle in technology comes along require maintenance and are a fire hazard. You've come a long way baby, but way further to go.