The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Big Adulting Day for EngineerBoy (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33461)

monster 04-16-2018 10:07 PM

Big Adulting Day for EngineerBoy

On the day of his dad's funeral, Engineerboy was offered a Summer Internship at a company that sponsors his Baja Racing Team. Three months, full time, more money than I earn.

Also, same day, actually at the funeral, Beest's HR people told him they were interested in offering him a summer internship. And it wasn't a charitable move.

Earlier in the year, he told our local summer pool that he couldn't commit to coming back as manager because he was trying to get a summer internship. But their need-to-know deadline came and he hadn't heard anything about the internships he had applied for, and he's a freshman, so he agreed to return as pool manager.

Today, he resigned from the pool, and told beest's employer -who is suddenly very interested with an email at 4pm Friday and another at 4pm today requesting a face-to-face interviw this week- that he has taken another position.

So proud, but so much stress so young.... (He turned 19 on Friday)

BigV 04-16-2018 10:20 PM

Fucking wonderful news.

*stoked*

monster 04-16-2018 10:46 PM

It is. I'm hoping he's feeling a weight is lifted... but the people at the job he accepted better not fuck with him ...mama bear is not yet totally retired.....

Griff 04-17-2018 05:50 AM

This sounds amazing! I hope he can let go of the others. I'm guessing this is right at the sweet spot of interest and talent.

glatt 04-17-2018 07:06 AM

Outstanding! Very good position to be in, turning down offers.

Clodfobble 04-17-2018 11:59 AM

Nice!

fargon 04-17-2018 12:27 PM

Good for Engineer Boy.

DanaC 04-17-2018 12:42 PM

Impressive.

As to the timing - maybe a bunch of other complicated shit going on in the background may have helped a little. Give his brain something compelling and immediate to focus on.

Either way, the boy done good. Doesn't sound like he'd be very easily messed with either.

You know - I do sometimes think this generation coming up now is pretty awesome. They get a lot of stick for the selfie and social media youth culture - but there's a lot about their culture and outlook that is way more impressive than our generation's youth culture (to my recollection anyway) - a work ethic and focused sense of possibility seem to be key characteristics. Probably largely because of parents like you.

glatt 04-17-2018 01:02 PM

Short article in this morning's paper said teens today are drinking less alcohol than teens in the past, and baby boomers are drinking more alcohol than 65+ folks in the past. The kids aren't the problem.

Gravdigr 04-17-2018 02:19 PM

Kids are a huge fucking prollum. Yuge.

Just not yours.;)

Griff 04-17-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 1007174)
Impressive.

As to the timing - maybe a bunch of other complicated shit going on in the background may have helped a little. Give his brain something compelling and immediate to focus on.

Either way, the boy done good. Doesn't sound like he'd be very easily messed with either.

You know - I do sometimes think this generation coming up now is pretty awesome. They get a lot of stick for the selfie and social media youth culture - but there's a lot about their culture and outlook that is way more impressive than our generation's youth culture (to my recollection anyway) - a work ethic and focused sense of possibility seem to be key characteristics. Probably largely because of parents like you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1007178)
Short article in this morning's paper said teens today are drinking less alcohol than teens in the past, and baby boomers are drinking more alcohol than 65+ folks in the past. The kids aren't the problem.

This, all of this.