View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #14
TheLorax
Keeper of the Decorum

marichiko – ah fond memories, or rather memories of a class I took my senior year and had to have to graduate. It was taught by the dean once a year. I had a whopping 33 average because the tests were so unbelievably hard. We all thought we were failing and he refused to discuss grades. I was resigned to taking it again and ended up getting a B in the class.

I seem to be getting a great deal of latitude from the college as to what I want to do. I have to cover the first 9 chapters of the book and that is all they’ve really told me. I thought there would be standardized tests but nope. There is a great deal of emphasis on taking roll for funding purposes, but so far I have not heard any noise about grading on a curve.

I think I’m going with homework for 10% of the grade, 5 tests (drop the lowest grade) for 80% and another 10% pass/fail thing that would be each person leading a 5 minute discussion at the beginning of each class in some current event that has something, anything, to do with accounting or business.

That last part was just to make the math work out better and because I saw that most of the other instructors require a one-page paper on a current event and I don’t think I’m quite up to grading papers yet.