View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #1273
monster
I hear them call the tide

It's impossible to get fired here in AA right now, unless you're caught stealing. At least in the "unskilled" sector. But I think everywhere. So few workers, so many jobs. Starting pay even for maintenance and bag packers in my store is $12ish and no-one bites. With benefits. We are employing brain-injury, alcohol rehab, and non-English speaking people almost exclusively. Which is great except that..... we sell alcohol. By the pint to sip as you shop. None of the drug rehab people can sell it, most of the brain injury and non-English speakers can't manage to do the training needed to sell it..... etc etc etc

Certainly in my store, anyone with a vague hint of competence is promoted to a manger within weeks. They don't have the skills. Where are the people with the skills? .... I think the "next tier" are also suffering and those people are working those jobs.....

I suspect but have no evidence that it's trickle-down from when Pfizer -formerly the second biggest employer in AA after the University of Michigan- bugged out. Our population decreased dramatically -especially families with young children -those children would be the people filling the unskilled jobs as they graduated high school without plans, and the stay-at-home spouses would be filling the more skilled jobs as they were no longer needed at home.....