View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Why Is U.S. Healthcare So Stupid?

My sprogs have no healthcare as of beest's death. Good News ...his company will pay for COBRA for them for 12 months. Once they get the ppwk to me and I return it. A few weeks. Meanwhile, we have to pay out of pocket (i.e. megabucks because no insurance to limit doc fees etc) if they need anything. But don't panic, COBRA will be backdated and then we will get reimbursed.... **

and then...... COBRA doesn't cover vision, only health and dental. Vision is the cheapest of the three. And my youngest has an eye test scheduled that I rescheduled from when beest was pretty sick (when he was still covered)..

good news. They can switch to my insurance (same options as me only) within 30 days of a "Life Event". Fortunately I have vision, so they can get that.

So, does this mean we have to forgo the free insurance paid by Beest's company and put them all on mine now? No. Because apparently his death is not the "Life Event". Losing their insurance is. So they had a "life event" on the day he died -when they lost their vision insurance- and they will have another on the same date in 2019 when they lose the rest of it.

how fucking fucked up is that?

** also don't panic and set up a GoFundMeWhatever to help us out with this in case we need it because i know you are all awesome and would do that in a heartbeat if you didn't know that we planned for this kind of crap , I can cover this kind of shit, I'm just whining about stupidity