View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #596
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Outcome won't change things: precisely;

And it's funny: no candidate would ever suggest touching Social Security and Medicare... in the time I've watched, they remain pretty untouched... but every election season I've paid attention to, the sides work out how to suggest the other side will fuck them up. It's all about the sides!
Y'know, when it comes to examples of why Trump should not be President, we're all spoiled for choice. Literally spoiled, he's made his behavior so loud and so incessant that it's just impossible to sustain the outrage it deserves, much less keep up with all the shit this guy says and does. The fashionable term is "normalized". I'm not normalized to his ... everything, but I am fucking tired of it.

Here's a textbook example. You say,
Quote:
no candidate would ever suggest touching Social Security and Medicare...
and you're well advised to say such a thing, what self-destructive idiot would ever suggest such a thing?!?!

what? We have a caller on Line One? Ok, patch him through.

Quote:
Trump’s remarks came in the context of a discussion about the national debt, which has ballooned to historic levels under his presidency despite his 2016 campaign promise to eliminate it entirely. After Trump claimed that cutting the debt would be a focus of his second term, host Martha MacCallum pointed out that “if you don’t cut something in entitlements, you’ll never really deal with the debt.”

But before “you’ll never really deal with the debt” even escaped MacCallum’s lips, Trump interjected to agree with the first part of her statement — that cuts to programs like Social Security and Medicare will be necessary to get the debt under control.

“Oh, we’ll be cutting,” he said. “We’re also going to have growth like you’ve never seen before.”
Yeah, that guy.

A couple of hot takes on why this is bad and should be avoided.

1 -- It's a dumb thing to say because nobody wants their entitlements cut.

2 -- It's dumb because he opens his mouth before his brain's in gear.

3 -- I'm sick of having The White House, and god knows how many apologists tell me what Trump meant. The man really should be able to speak for himself.

4 -- Scandalously, the walk-backs, the re-interpretations, the corrections and clarifications are often 180 degrees from what Trump actually said. Listening to him trying to do it for himself awhile ago when he was *explaining* what he said about his understanding of Putin's position about election interference. First he said "why would it be?" then a minute later, and by a minute, I mean one brutal news cycle, he said "why wouldn't it be?", just exactly the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
“The sentence should have been, ‘I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia,’” Mr. Trump said. “Sort of a double negative.” “So,” he concluded, “you can put that in. And I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself.”
Riiiiiight. He probably thinks I'm as stupid as he is, or worse, that he's as smart as I am. He's wrong either way.

So, back to your point UT, what do you think about this politician pledging to cut entitlements?