View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Marichico, your friend makes sense. I understand it is more important to enjoy the music than it is to figure it out, or else why bother listening to or playing it in the first place? Let me draw a comparison to watching a movie. Most of the times I watch a movie, I don't look at how it is put together, I just go to have a good time. But sometimes I get the urge to look closely at the lighting, the framing of the shot, the props, the background music, the pacing, and all the other little things that are pieced together to make the whole. I find that doing this is fun. Not all the time, just on occasion.

Tuning just happens to be a nuance I've gotten stuck on right now. Its kind of funny because the one example I have demonstrating it shows me I can't really notice it yet. But then again, it took me a while to consciously hear the difference between a semitone and a whole tone (I don't know how hard it is for other people, I might have wooden ears). Does it help me appreciate music better? Maybe not a whole lot, but it might, and it's a good listening exercise.

Wolf, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying to take the two or three strings hit by a piano key, dampen all but the one to be struck, and then seeing what it sounds like? I'll give it a try, but what do I use to block the hammer from hitting the string? I've never played with the insides of my piano, and I don't want to damage anything.

(incidentally Wolf, do you know what a wolf is in musical terms? It has everything to do with tuning.)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote