View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
The ability to show such humanity in the face of sheer emotional trauma, and the recognition that punishment is futile.
*Could've sworn I posted my reply earlier...guess not*

Actually, this is the part that had me puzzled:
""What we actually need is a public education campaign to teach people how to live with sharks," she said. "They are a fact of life, they rarely attack humans, but occasionally it does happen. Instead of avoiding the issue, let's start educating the public about it."

Why on earth would anyone want to purposely surf/live/swim among/deal with sharks outside of perhaps being a marine biologist? As much as I miss swimming in the ocean, I also know that there is too much danger in it for me to go back in it. I don't care how rare shark attacks are, the bottom line is this: they will freaking try to eat you if they see you and think you are food...period! I really think man needs to stop trying so hard to get up into the ass of Mother Nature all of the time and just stay safe!

Quote:
People lose clarity when someone is attacked, calling immediately for the perpetrator to be destroyed. When will we realise we have no more right to be here than any other creature?
When people stop swimming among sharks?

Quote:
Thank god there are some people who realise how stupid and arrogant it is to return like for like. This relates back to every punishment issue I can think of. I know a lot of you disagree with me on this one, but if this family can show some sense, why can't you?
Well, if that works for you, great. However, that was the family's choice and I'm sure that some people have wondered why they chose to not have the sharks killed. I say that's their business, just like if I were to have choosen to say go ahead and kill them is MY business. It's not for anyone to wonder "why" and so forth.

And I'm going to leave it at that.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote