View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I had actually posted a brilliant review before The Crash.

But actually it's kind of appropriate that I redo it today, on the anniversary of the Trinity Explosion.

And yes, I am wearing the tee shirt.

In any event ... I'm enjoying reading Genius. It's a lot longer than it looks, though ... man that print is TINY (or are my eyes just getting older?). I've just completed the section on The Manhattan Project. It's interesting to read the story I know so well focused on one of the "minor" players (yes, I know Feynman did a lot at Los Alamos, but most of the books that I have read focus mainly on Oppie, Teller, Szillard, Nedermeyer, and Bethe).

I'm a bit disappointed in what Gleick considers important and not in his writing the tale ... downplaying almost into insignificance Arline's death, for example, as well as providing very little commentary regarding Trinity.

One fun moment I've had was the rediscovery of the hexahexaflexagon. I read that section at work, and was fussing about in the office mumbling about it as I found instructions on the internet somewhere and made one for myself. My coworkers were not impressed at my ability to expose all six of the faces. We have a guy who has a master's in physics who works nursing to annoy his parents (he's apparently also teaching at Philadelphia Community College Part Time) who because of my enthusiasm pretended to know what I was talking about.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote