Thread: Pride
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
marichiko

I suppose it would be nice if the general intelligence of the population at large were somewhat higher, but I don't think that this alone would solve the problem. History is filled with examples of people who were highly intelligent, yet had an emotional IQ of about 3, and the people around them suffered accordingly. In my own case, I like to think of myself as being intelligent enough, but I have done some really stupid things, acting purely out of emotion. In many of these instances I even knew at the time that I was not acting in the brightest possible manner, but I went ahead anyhow. The distance from the head to the heart, you know?

I think when it comes to pride, we're talking self-esteem as much as anything. Some people are just too damn afraid to admit that they might have been wrong, because then they're afraid everyone will think they're stupid like that kid they went to third grade with who got F's in every subject and had to repeat the third grade all over again, and everybody made fun of him and by God, I am not like that!

I think some people also feel so powerless in the rest of their lives that when they see a chance to get one over on someone else, they just jump right at it, and you could be Albert Einstein, but if you are in a position of waiting on that customer, you're going to get it with both barrels, regardless. I once worked a brief stint as one of the switchboard operators at a luxury 5 star hotel. We had to be polite, no matter what, or loose our jobs. Switchboard operators in a place like that are perfect targets. They're nameless, faceless, working for not much over the minimum wage, sitting in a windowless basement room while the caller is wealthy (by definition you had to be to stay at that place - George Bush stays there when he comes to town) and the caller can have you fired if he chooses to complain enough. Sample conversation:

Me: Switchboard, to where may I direct your call, sir (ma'am)?

Guest: I want to find a highway map of Colorado that shows how I can drive through the state without going over any mountains.

Me: (Realizing I've got a "live" one on my hands) I see. Would you like me to put you through to the concierge office? They usually can help our guests with their travel plans.

Guest: No! I've already spoken to that idiot you people hired to put in the
Con See ER Age office, and the damned fool told me that there was no such route. The man is incompetant and, believe me, the hotel management will be hearing about him!

Me: Yes, Sir. I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with our service in that area. Perhaps, you would like me to connect you with the local AAA office, then?

Guest: Obviously, I've already spoken to them, you idiot, and they were as worthless as your Con See ER Age. They said said the best I could do was I-70 which goes right over Vail Pass and my wife is terrified of mountains. She'd have a heart attack before we were even half way across.

Me: (Wondering what the hell this idiot and his neurotic wife have come to Colorado for if they don't like mountains) I'm sorry you are having so much difficulty, Sir. Just where would you like me to direct your call, then?

Guest: YOU'Re the one who's supposed to know that. You're the switch board operator, aren't you?

Me: (Visualizing Lily Tomlin - "one ringy ding, two ringy dingy...") Yes, Sir, you have reached the hotel switchboard. (by this time I am so enraged over this man's stupidity and rude behavior, I no longer care). Perhaps, you might like for me to give you the route that we locals most often use?

Guest: I knew there was a better route! What is it?

Me: Do you have a pen, Sir? (sniggering inwardly)

Guest: Yes! Yes! Tell me what it is.

Me: OK. Take highway 24 to Buena Vista, then highway 82 to Carbondale from there you'll take highway 133 to Hotchkiss, then 92 and 149 to South Fork where you'll pick up 160 to Durango. Stay on 160 to Teec Nos Pos, New Mexico, and you'll be out of Colorado, safe and sound.

Guest: No Vail Pass?

Me: Oh, I promise you, no Vail Pass.

Guest: Well, its about time I got some information out of somebody in this 3rd rate flop house! (click!)

I then spent the rest of my shift barely able to contain my laughter over having sent this "gentleman" and his wife over Colorado's highest mountain roads and 4 most trecherous passes, including Wolf Creek and Rabbit Ears Pass and having them end up in the most God forsaken part of New Mexico known to man. This is a true story, and to this very day, I don't feel the least bit guilty about it!