View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #32
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I started in Tiger Cubs (the program for 1st graders), went through Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, got my Eagle award, spent some time in the Explorers and as an adult leader and finally ended my association with the BSA in 1996. Most of the time, it was a blast. I met some great people and learned a lot.

Of course, the St. Louis council had a bad molestation problem in the mid-80s...two of my friends were victims.

The BSA has the right to have whomever they want in their organization. After all, it's a private organization, and they shouldn't be forced to accept gays or atheists. But they should rely strictly on themselves or businesses for funding, not the UW. When the Philadelphia council threw out a gay Eagle Scout, the UW took their money away...not sure if that stood or not. And based on what I know about the Scouts now, I wouldn't allow any child of mine in the program...and I'll never rejoin. The Girl Scouts don't seem to have nearly as many problems as the BSA, but their schtick seems much the same.

Griff, you and Pete seem to have this parenting thing down to a science. I bet you and your family and friends could easily show your kids anything they could learn in Scouts.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote