View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nextels

I don't have one of the damn things. I think they are clunky, too expensive, and annoying in just the way described above.

However, I sometimes have to use one at work. I don't need to carry it, or interact with it much, but we have one in the Commitment Office so we can contact the ambulance crew ... some of them have nextels supplied by the hospital, but the wacker community got them first and so many of them are personal phones of the crew members.

It's bad enough that I have to carry a pager ... but I will not give my employer my cell phone number. I do not need to be THAT available.

Beyond the annoying in public places aspect, the main problem that I have with the Nextel walkie-talkie service is that the sound quality is horrible ... worse than the average cellphone. If you're dealing with someone who ordinarily speaks V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y A-N-D C-L-E-A-R-L-Y you're okay, but foreign accent, or tendency to mumble, forget it.

There are folks that we'll lie to and tell them that the signal is bad, please call on the landline.

There are also folks in my department that the ambulance crew can't understand, so they call on the landline and ask to talk to me, even if it's this other person's case.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote