View Single Post
Old 04-12-2002, 08:09 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Eh, but when you gave them $5 to pay for it, they would have hell making change. I think they'd just cut it to $4.95 and eat the two cents lost
Eliminate the penny and nickel - and we have currency equivalent to 1950s. The dime today is equal to the penny of 1950. We don't need the penny or nickel today as we didn't need a 1/10th cent in 1950. However we have something in excessive numbers. MBAs. Bean counter mentalities who want to count every cent as if a missing penny would destroy the books - while a million here and a million there are lost due to stifled innovation. Classic example of bean counters.

Even taxes are rounded off to dollars.

No country in the world, except the US, uses paper for denominations so small as the $1 bill. A Pepsi commercial where a dollar bill is rejected by a soda machine should have made facts obvious. Paper dollar bills make life more difficult. The Sacajawea dollar would have been successful if we could find one. I ask often but no one has any. Almost half were saved, like pennies in a jar, as collector items. (Pennies? Notice the segway.) Vending machines and pay phones did not have adjust - even though dollar coins are legal tender meaning they had to accept the $1 coin.

Coins have an average life expectancy of 20 years. Half of your coins should be printed before 1982. But we throw pennies away so quickly that most all pennies are post 1995. You would think Congress would get the message. Nope. It requires thinking. Congress is still manipulated by legalized bribery - logic be damned. Eliminate the silly penny and nickel.

Get rid of the paper dollar bill whose life expectancy is a little more than 1 year. Paper dollar bills are a classic example of decisions based upon politics - reality be damned. Why do we keep them? You can't even make a toll call pay phones anymore for less than a dollar. You can't bribe a politican with a penny or a paper dollar. What good is it?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote