View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #25
warch
lurkin old school

There's such a range to cheese and I think like any growing cuisine, you get curious about the old, and authentic. Its like Italian restaurants in America. Is it just spagetti and meatballs or could it be risotto? (I love that movie "Big Night") So for all the talk of cheeses being fancy schmancy, what were really talking about here is good, old school peasant food. For me its just like being curious about microbrewed beer- another happy peasant staple.

There's a great Blue cheese for nibbling with crackers, fruit, nuts - Cabralas- From Spain, its a bit salty. Yum City. You could do a Spainish peasant picnic themed nosh- Manchego is a semi hard slicer, very tasty. I'm not sure what milk is what, but I know when you put a selection of cheese together, you should vary the milk source- cow, goat, sheep....and the textures. Maybe a little chorizo..., olives, We also just found a very decent, peasant priced red wine from Spain- Vina Alarba- definitely tasty for under $10. (it was $4.99 on sale)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote