View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #12
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmbacon
Because it's no longer a symbol of peace and well-being.
But you see, that's where you're wrong. It never stopped being a symbol of peace and well-being. It now has two meanings.

Quote:
How do you think Jews feel about that picture?
Quite honestly that is their problem, not the problem of the millions of hindus around the world who feel quite differently about it.

Quote:
People are still very sensitive to that symbol, as witnessed lately with the whole Prince Harry debacle.
Please don't use the royals as an example for anything, it can only hurt your credibility.

Quote:
Look, I'm no political-correctness policeman, but I think it's important to keep that symbol as it is as a reminder of what happened.
But by wanting to squash the feelings of a people who have been using that symbol for longer than a number of the countries in this world have existed, just because someone is offended by it, then you are exactly that.

Quote:
It'd be a shame if its meaning got diluted, and besides, how confusing would it be if some part of the world associated it with peace and well-being, and another part of the world associated it with the most famous genocide in human history? Talk about your mixed messages.
It's not diluting something to return it to the 5000 +/- meaning it has carried. Quite the opposite I believe.

And as to mixed messages, it's not sending a mixed message. A hindu walking around with a swastika around his neck as a talisman is only doing it for himself.