View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 11:26 AM   #136
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

SoE is a raw adrenaline rush, and you paid $20 less than I did. There are HORDES of used copies of this game out there, for a very simple reason -- 95% of those who bought it expected it to be Grand Theft Auto 3 1/2, and were dramatically surprised when it didn't have a quarter of GTA's depth.

It's got more in common with, say, Dynamite Cop/Die Hard Arcade than GTA, apart from a shared sick sense of humor. A raw beat-and-blow-em-up that's good at what it is. (Hints: When you're running low on health, the best way to replenish it is to grab a billy club and plow through a crowd of security guards. Each one you flatten drops a health and/or time powerup, and you get double value for hand-to-hand attacks. The point total goals seem hard to reach at first... until you figure out that when you walk up to the front door of a building and pump in a grenade-launcher shell, good things happen. The sword is useless. Spanky rules the earth.)

I had some mild motion-sickness problems with the Last Clone Standing mode, which only one other game has ever done to me (Gex: Enter the Gecko). Major camera whiparounds. I didn't feel it in the regular Chaos modes, however.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote