Thread: God? Faith?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #89
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
BUT - OC why does it matter if the world was created in 6 literal days?
It matters because God said he did it in 6 literal days.

I can choose to believe God did it just like He said He did in the Bible
or
I can choose to believe God lied to me and everyone else and I can't trust the Bible for anything.

It's an all or nothing proposition.

I choose the former.

Quote:
creationism and darwinian development don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I can choose to believe God did it just like He said He did in the Bible
or
I can choose to believe men who have no faith in my God, who don't believe he even exists, and who have actively worked to destroy faith in Him.

Quote:
why argue the "how" of it?
Because God said it happened one way. I have to take a stand and say "I believe God did it the way he says he did" or I have to stand and say "There is no God." or worse, "God is a liar."

Either God is a liar or he's not. If he's not, then the world was created in 6 literal days. If he is, then he is irrelevant and I can't believe any of it.

Quote:
If you believe that God brought something from nothing, can you be open to the idea that it did happen slowly, a process rather than an event? survival of the fittest and the effect it has upon different species is self evident - does that necessarily negate your faith in a Creator God?
Not at all. Mutations and speciation happens. It's observable science. The question was creation in 6 literal days. Obviously the world today is not as it was then.

Quote:
the more you argue something about something that cannot be proven the less people are willing to listen to the truly important message of the Bible - The forgiveness availabe through Jesus Christ. That message is not dependent upon our understanding of the creation process.
But that message IS dependant on it! If someone doesn't know why they need forgiveness, then Christ's redemption is meaningless. So you have to establish what sin is in order to explain forgiveness. To explain sin, you have to explain who the sin is against and WHY it's sin. That can only be done by explaining that God created this world. So to explain to someone what a gift Jesus gave, you HAVE to explain WHY he gave it. Creation is crucial to that understanding.

Quote:
I feel the same way when i hear people argue NO/Pre/Mid/Post tribulation rapture. Does it matter on anything other than an academic level? these are distractions from the one truly important message in the Bible forgiveness for disobedience.
I don't think Revelationary discussion has as much importance as creation does to the meaning of Christ's sacrifice.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 02-22-2005 at 12:37 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote