View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #28
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm not sure that i can adequately put this into written format, but when has that ever stopped a cellarite?

Glatt - i think it is positive thing that our society has decided to give blanket privileges (drinking, voting) at a certain date in time, irrespective of one's maturity. it can be assumed that at certain points in time, say age 18, you have experienced enough in life, and hopefully been educated enough that you can step into the aspect of adult life we call voting. By 21, hopefully you are not as vulnerable to peer pressure situations and can be deemed ready to drink if you choose.

those are freedoms, rights, privileges that are being granted without requirement of a passing grade other than the ability to stay alive for enough birthdays.

the death penalty issue is looking to take something away. it would be wrong to tie that to a birthdate in an arbitrary manner. we should look at the individual and the specifics of the crime.

i'm having a hard time putting to words what i really mean, but it boils down to this, if we are giving something positive it is ok to give a blanket treatment, but if we are taking something away (a life, freedom) then we should look at the individual.