View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Even if you want to claim that there is a genetic predisposition for becoming addicted stronger and faster to substances than other people, there is no evidence of a genetic predisposition to look at a substance for the first time and crave to take it. The first time is always a choice.

I did not say there was a "genetic predisiposition to look at a aubstance for the first time and crave to take it" I stated that there is a predisposition to addiciton to alcohol from children who had one or both parents who were alcoholic. I think i also backed this up with refrences. There are a great deal of Adult children of alcoholics who never take a drink because of what they have experienced because of their parents abuse. You will find a lot of these people at Al-Anon meetings trying to understand why they have the feelings they have. My point being, that they have many of the same personality traits of their parent/parents. On the other hand, there are children that grow up trying another psychoactive drug instead of alcohol because they hate alcohol. However they usually become addicted to whatever drug they like the best when used obsessively. I'm not saying every person that has a parent who is or was addicted will become an alcoholic/addict. Thats a question science is looking very carefully at. Why can their be four siblings in a family of an alcoholic and only two of them become addicted to some form of addictive substance. On second thought, even those that do not become addicted still have a great deal of difficulty dealing with lifes issues. There addiction or obsession if you like may be shown through work, gambling, eating, etc........... and then there are some who appear for some reason to be fairly normal people.... there are alot of questions concerning addiction. I agree,if your a child of an alcoholic, and you never take a psychoactive chemical ,how could you become addicted. However, it's been often said, that when someone predisisposed to addiction takes that first drink or drug the terrible cycle begins.