View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #33
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Which CD/song represents them the best??
They keep changing their stripes. Depends on your taste, really. I like Images and Words, Falling into Infinity, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence best, but there are DT fans who loathe SDIT because it's too orchestral and doesn't have the "progressive" nature of some of the others.

Images and Words has "Pull Me Under" on it, which got quite a bit of radio play and is palatable to most ears that like plain rock without all the mastubatory noodling that we guitar nerds live for. Hollow Years is a good slow song, "As I Am" is a good fast one, "A Change of Seasons" is a good long prog-rock thing.

Asking a Dream Theater geek which song is best is fruitless More often, we talk about which keyboardist is best (Rudess), debate whether having no vocalist is better than having James LaBrie (it's not, you just have to get used to him), and make bets as to how many more consecutive "Rock Drummer of the Year" awards Portnoy is going to get (I think he's up to like 9). Oh yeah, and wondering why Petrucci has decided to start playing nothing but speedy chromatic runs (hard to play but musically uninteresting).

Yah, so. anyway.