View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
An aquaintance was just telling me about her kindergartener getting beat up (actually hit, punched in the head) on the bus several times before they were able to have the bully's seat moved. Outrageous. Also, he has a lazy eye, and his teacher employed his classmates to tattle on him whenever he "cheated" (lifted the patch covering his good eye). Now he's the freak.
I don't think school administrators are able/willing to stop the bullying for the most part. They cultivate an adversarial relationship between themselves and parents, themselves and students, and among students.
Sad story jinx. I have heard of similar stories myself. Indeed I lived through my share of being bullied.

Now that I am a parent myself, I would only offer one particle of advice, in a grammatical vein. When you say:
"I don't think school administrators are able/willing to stop the bullying for the most part. They cultivate an adversarial relationship between themselves and parents, themselves and students, and among students."
I would make one small change. I would insert the word IF between "...most part" and "They cultivate..."

Being united in our common cause, the welfare and education of the student and child, is of inestimable value, and is to be diligently sought. When I must I will be the teachers' and administrators' adversary. I have done so and will continue to do so where necessary. But much much more can be accomplished in an atmosphere of cooperation. [/voice of experience]