View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 AM   #284
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
more likely it is because they are devout catholics (or at least they play them on tv). i think that catholics believe that the cremated will be left without a body when Christ returns and that would be a bad thing. i'm thinking that if Christ really is the Lord of all and everything in the Bible is true - He can probably get around the not having a body bit. IMO
I'm not going to question their devotion to Catholicism, but I will question their judgement letting the likes of Randal Terry turn their difficulties into his circus. The "Culture of Life" that JP2 originally addressed bears only a passing resemblance to what some American Christians have whittled it down to.

Being cremated does not violate Catholic dogma. Traditional Christian burial is strongly encouraged for, from what I gather, historical reasons. Early enemies of Christianity had been known to burn Christians bodies as a psychological attack against believers. According to Catholic teaching the destruction of the body does not impact resurrection.

Lately, the Pope may be pushing his argument too far, pressing for extraordinary means to support life. At some point, you just have to put your life in Gods hands. For me, I think that feeding tubes are pretty ordinary but that personal decision making is why we can't let the nutters like Randal Terry make the call for us.