View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

There's a place in Brantford, Ontario that makes a back bacon sandwich that you would kill your family for.

The bacon comes from a pig farm down the road, and it is the sweetest, most tender pork you can possibly imagine. Raised the old way, not the same shitty pork you find in supermarkets now that is "white" and flavourless for marketing purposes...

Six or seven bucks, and you get two inches thick of the stuff. I've driven to Brantford explicitly for that damn sandwich.

And Waterloo, there's a Greek place that does things the old fashioned way, with the best gyros you will ever eat. Two for five bucks. Homemade tzatziki, shit, makes you want to live in the restaurant. I chat soccer with the owner all the time.

And I went to Harveys the other day. They've gotten rid of the "Big Harv", which was a slab of decent beef on an egg bun, because it took more than the maximum 2 moments or whatever they deemed was most economical for burger cooking. Everything you buy is weighed, proportioned, prepackaged, soaked in grease, and prepared by a dude who hates his job. A chain restaurant is (with few exceptions) nothing more than the precedent for automated dinner vending machines.

I want to eat at a place where, if I slap the owner with a massive tip and tell him I just ate the best Goddamn sandwich of my whole life, it'll make his day, and he'll remember me next time.

I'm glad the chains are so popular, I really am. It keeps the ruffage out of the really good joints.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote